Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Cat brand generators?

Anybody have any experience with Cat generators? I'm looking at an RP7500E (7500 watts). Consumer Reports rates it the highest in the class and it's well-rated on Amazon (even with fake reviews factored out). One electrician we talked to about doing our house wiring for it said that Cat and Generac were crap, so I dunno. The biggest negative seems to be noise but I don't much care - when the power goes out in my neighborhood there's such a cacophony of big generators that ours wouldn't even be noticed.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Sorry, no experience. However, my experience with a CAT engine is that it has been stellar.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Anybody have any experience with Cat generators? I'm looking at an RP7500E (7500 watts). Consumer Reports rates it the highest in the class and it's well-rated on Amazon (even with fake reviews factored out). One electrician we talked to about doing our house wiring for it said that Cat and Generac were crap, so I dunno. The biggest negative seems to be noise but I don't much care - when the power goes out in my neighborhood there's such a cacophony of big generators that ours wouldn't even be noticed.
I asked my Cat dealer about the generators they had on display and was told they are not actually Cat engines. I forget what he said they actually are tho.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
I asked my Cat dealer about the generators they had on display and was told they are not actually Cat engines. I forget what he said they actually are tho.
This.

Cat makes generators, and they're world renowned for it, but they don't make their consumer brand smaller displacement generators. They'll have them sourced and labeled by someone else, and then charge for the name.

https://dieselprogress.com/whats-beh...en-sets-13274/

Per that article. The generators are designed by cat themselves, but built by Rato Power Manufacturing Co in china. In all of the pictures that I've seen of their open framed generators, it looks like they use a standard honda gx series engine, or a clone of that series engine.

Truthfully, for backup power, I'd go with something you can get service and parts for.

Around here, most back up generators sit for months to years on end with no maintenance or afterthought. That is, until they're needed again for use. Then the owners blow off the cobwebs, chase out the mice, and hope for the best at starting them.

I get a lot of calls every power outage of people begging me to fix, wanting quotes to fix or walk them through the process of fixing their crap they neglected. Typically, you can find dozens of them for sale cheap after said outages because they went out and bought new, versus trying to repair the old one, and are now selling the old one.