Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas (37 ft)
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Lightbulb Cat Door

Hello all! So I have 3 cats that are loving their lives with indoor/outdoor living. I want them to be able to have the same luxuries once we move onto the bus. The idea that I have has definitely not been done before (at least that I've seen) so I'm curious as to if you all think it's possible or not.

My plan is to use an emergency exit. I want to hook it up to gas struts(or something of that nature) that will open the window far enough for my cats to get in and out of. It will be activated when they press a button. So they press the button, the window opens for like 30 seconds, they get out, and then it automatically closes behind them. I will have small stairs screwed into the outside of the bus so the cats can get up to and down from the window safely. The outer side of the window will also have a button to open the window so they can get back in.

How do you feel about something like that?

Also though, I am worried about letting them be free reign as we travel around a lot. I know there are many dangerous animals, humans, and other factors that could easily unalive my kitties. So that's something in the back of my mind. Which, is also why I want to be able to turn the power to the buttons on and off, so that the window can't be opened if we are on the move or in any other situation where I just don't want the cats getting out. I might just use this if we ever end up buying land and parking the bus on it. Unsure, but we shall see.

Daybreakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Research 'automatic coop door' for chickens. There are many unique diy designs and commercial products available for chickens.

I used a custom bracket mounted to an automotive power antenna as they are mass produced (inexpensive) & powered by 12v DC solar/battery. For the diurnal birds, a photocell commands the open/close time.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
It's great that you want to protect your cats and allow them some freedom but why reinvent the wheel? There are many economical pet door systems on the market that use RF collars to active the door for your pet but keep stray animals out, some are even programmable to operate if your animals are chipped. They can be shut off to prevent your pet from escaping.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
It's great that you want to protect your cats and allow them some freedom but why reinvent the wheel? There are many economical pet door systems on the market that use RF collars to active the door for your pet but keep stray animals out, some are even programmable to operate if your animals are chipped. They can be shut off to prevent your pet from escaping.
I think my main reason for wanting to 'reinvent the wheel' is because I've taken out all of my windows twice, and put them back in twice. I'm just not trying to have to take one out again is all ^^' But you make a very good point! I'll look into some and see if I can't find one that I think fits the bill
Old 11-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Research 'automatic coop door' for chickens. There are many unique diy designs and commercial products available for chickens.

I used a custom bracket mounted to an automotive power antenna as they are mass produced (inexpensive) & powered by 12v DC solar/battery. For the diurnal birds, a photocell commands the open/close time.
That's a great suggestion! I'll look into it

Tags
cat door, cats, emergency exit window