Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 78
Ceiling Material Square Footage/Linear Feet

Just curious about how much Square Footage/Linear Feet of material people needed for their ceiling since it's a rounded top on the ceiling it's a bit hard to measure the Square feet (for a noob like me)

Any advice is greatly appreciated, everything is shown in Linear feet when buying boards. I think It's something like 2X linear feet is equivalent to 1X Sq ft but I could be and most likely am wrong.

BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
Just curious about how much Square Footage/Linear Feet of material people needed for their ceiling since it's a rounded top on the ceiling it's a bit hard to measure the Square feet (for a noob like me)

Any advice is greatly appreciated, everything is shown in Linear feet when buying boards. I think It's something like 2X linear feet is equivalent to 1X Sq ft but I could be and most likely am wrong.
Measuring your ceiling should be a piece of cake. It's a curved rectangle but still a rectangle. As long as you aren't using a ridged yard stick just measure it. A tape measure is just fine. Plenty flexible. You might need 6 pairs of hands to hold it to the contour but it'll bend just fine. Use tape if you're short of hands. Length x width and done for square feet.

Linear feet doesn't really apply. Something that is 10 linear feet long is still just 10 feet long. Board feet is volume so it's different. A board 4" wide 3" thick and 4' long is the same board feet as a board 1' wide 2" thick and 2' long. If you are buying fabric, you're likely buying in square yards. 1^2 yard is 3'x3' or 9 ^2.

Now if you buy flooring, you'll likely get linear feet. You just need to know that your 10' linear piece of flooring is only 4" wide and you'll need X number of pieces to go the width of your bus.

https://www.trestlewood.com/linear-f...alculator.html
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 78
Thanks for the reply! I was totally over thinking everything with Linear Feet instead of just measuring!! >.< It's crazy how easy it is to "go stupid" while trying to figure these oddities out.

Appreciate the help!
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
Thanks for the reply! I was totally over thinking everything with Linear Feet instead of just measuring!! >.< It's crazy how easy it is to "go stupid" while trying to figure these oddities out.

Appreciate the help!
Phfft, no problem.

I think I have the opposite problem. It took me 3 weeks to get this step done (fill in the blank with whatever step it is). Then I come back 2 or 3 days later, why in the hell did I do all that??? And it'll take another 2 or 3 hours to remember why. Luckily, I haven't under thunk anything and grabbed the saw just to undone all of the work. Then catch back up with myself. Oh crap now I can't undo it and that isn't going to work because...

I guess on the bright side I've also not sat back after 3 weeks of work and said If I had only done X, it would have been done in an hour instead of 3 weeks.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I guess on the bright side I've also not sat back after 3 weeks of work and said If I had only done X, it would have been done in an hour instead of 3 weeks.
Yet. You just wait.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Simple. Measure from above one side window all the way over to above the opposite side window, times the bus's length. For my bus it's almost exactly 8 feet from one side's wiring chase above the windows to the opposite chase, times 40 feet long equals 320 square feet, less a little bit because of the curved front and rear roof caps, makes it about 300 sq.ft. total. Your bus should be close to this, assuming it's a 40 footer.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Yet. You just wait.
Far more acceptable than getting halfway through tearing something out and then remembering why I couldn't short cut it.