Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

We're planning on going center aisle, since I'm a sucker for balance (ommm) and ours is going to feature mostly work space. I wanted the center as open as possible. The current idea is to have fold-up covers on the storage cubes/shelves, which can be left down or folded up to serve as tables/counters when needed.

I'm not super tall myself (5 foot 7, wowie zowie) and my partner in crime is maybe 5 and change. We have somewhat taller friends, though, and I myself prefer not to be brushing the ceiling, so more center-aisle incentive.

Setsu-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #22
Bus Nut

I'm on the taller side, so I'll need to do a center aisle design. For day to day things, I really don't want to duck. If I had to duck to pass from the living area to the sleeping area, I don't think I'd mind that too much - as long as it's not a constant stooping, it's okay.

In the last picture of the white bus with the L-shaped kitchen, I don't get the advantage of the L-shape. Where the couches are, the aisle is still normal-width - so if both couches are occupied, your guests get to kick each other when they stretch. The person in the folding chair is the lucky one - they get all the leg room! If the idea is to have a wider bathroom, then I'm all for it - and putting the oven where it is is a great idea. If you're doing it for the sake of a more open floor plan, I think it's wasting space. That folding chair could be a section of countertop, or an end table/storage unit of some sort.

Another though would be maybe replacing the center aisle with a side aisle, and going with swiveling captains chairs instead of a couch. (Personally, I'd rather sit on a captains chair / recliner instead of a couch for long trips - although I'm not sure captains chairs can be turned into a bed as easily as a couch.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
you're welcome.
Don't forget your holding tanks and fuel tank (2 fuel tanks in my case)will dictate where your plumbing will run... ie: right side of bus or left
Hard to cross over drive shaft & frame

when you visit the Tiny House festival... be sure to ask about their tank placements

Thank you! This is the kind of info Im looking for. I know what I like as their ally but when it comes to physically what works...Im a total noob! Lol
ReconcilingRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
We did center isle. The kitchen just feels right that way as you can stand in one spot and just turn around to get to everything.

Our water tank is on the right side opposite of the sink and bathroom. grey and black are under the bathroom. I routed out the threshold between the kitchen and back bedroom to allow the water line(1/2" pex) to cross over.
Thank you Ronnie! I'm going to try to CAD that out and see if I can apply it to the layout I'm working with in my future build.

This is great info! Thank you!!!!

-RR
Old 02-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsideJourney View Post
I love the Mayes Team bus and a bunch of others that have the L-shaped kitchen! However, whenever I do my floor plan in Sketchup, I just can't fit everything in with the L-shape that I can with the center aisle. It just makes sense for me to have the center aisle. I think for the longer buses it definitely works. I have just under 29' from the driver's seat and engine to work with after insulating the walls.
I completely agree with you. I do believe that once I get my eye set on a particular size it will help me choose the right layout. I also LOVE the Mayes Team bus too!!! It is so stunning! Their layout is extremely similar to what I am wanting to do at the moment.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
Millicent is still center aisle, but I am considering changing over to side aisle so I can have a queen bed on the ground floor.

I cannot have a queen bed across the back, because of the cargo compartment and tail-gate. And I am not giving up the door between the living area and the cargo compartment.

Of course, the ceiling is already two feet higher than originally.

So, RR... that is my minor contribution to this brainstorming session -- think of the largest item you need room for.
Thank you Elliot! You have definitely given me something to think over. I think at this moment my bed and the bathtub will be the biggest items I "want" to fit in the layout. I like how the "maze" style aisles look and feel so I'm leaning that way but still there is so much to ponder!

Thank you!!

-RR
Old 02-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdoctor View Post
How tall are you? Center isle will be best if you are over 58.
I'm a staggering 5'1". Lol vertically challenged is the best way to explain it! lol

-RR
Old 02-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I prefer the side aisle do the better utilization of the open space you create in a bus in a bus interior design that you get with a side aisle.

It only takes a couple of times to remind you of the lower ceiling height along the walls and then you always remember!
I imagine it would! Just a few head bumps to knock some sense into you, right?!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by synestine View Post
I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm planning a roof raise on mine (I'm 5'11" and my roof is 6'2", and I need better insulation) but kinda like the side-isle idea as it keeps my bathroom design contained and means only one fan needed instead of two. But as you get farther back, unless you have a flat-front bus, you will need to deal with a rear wheel well.
All good things to consider, especially with the rear wheel well. I guess walking through a few conversions will be helpful before I go on trying to make decisions!!

Thank you,

-RR
Old 02-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Thomas-built buses taper toward the top; they are not completely vertical.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote