Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Changing computer settings...

Visiting dealership Friday to get a few systems checked, and some computer fixes as well.

Had my RPM governor removed about 18 months ago, but am going to have it reset to it's original 2500.....I figure the engine lived all of it's life at that number, so I'll put it back. I can live with 62 mph.

What else should I be looking at computer-wise? I plan on....

a) RPM governor
b) enabling cruise control at 30 mph
c) verifying true mileage
d) enabling idle control (choke)

Is there anything else I need to be thinking about beforehand, or have done while I'm plugged in? Trying to cover everything in one trip.

Thanks.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
factory redline on your engine is 2600.
If they're charging you have em bump the HP rating while they're at it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
factory redline on your engine is 2600.
If they're charging you have em bump the HP rating while they're at it.
Sorry for the double post, but it wouldn't let me change the title.

I just want that little bit of buffer with the RPMs.....I don't have to have a valid reason.

I thought I had read that the HP increase could be done from 175 to 190hp, and more would require bigger injectors...but I'll definitely ask. Thanks!

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Sorry for the double post, but it wouldn't let me change the title.

I just want that little bit of buffer with the RPMs.....I don't have to have a valid reason.

I thought I had read that the HP increase could be done from 175 to 190hp, and more would require bigger injectors...but I'll definitely ask. Thanks!
On your engine 175-230st are all the same. They should at least be able to bump it to 210/215.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

This thread pinged my keyword search for 62mph. Is that a common governed speed? I found a 1999 Cummins w at545 that checks all our boxes on size, rust etc, but the bus depot says it won't go above 62mph and only then downhill. I assumed it was an issue with the gears and differential and since I don't want to mess with those I passed mentally on the bus.

But now I'm asking: is this top speed artificial and just a setting that can be undone?
DrTwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTwitch View Post
This thread pinged my keyword search for 62mph. Is that a common governed speed? I found a 1999 Cummins w at545 that checks all our boxes on size, rust etc, but the bus depot says it won't go above 62mph and only then downhill. I assumed it was an issue with the gears and differential and since I don't want to mess with those I passed mentally on the bus.

But now I'm asking: is this top speed artificial and just a setting that can be undone?
yeah many buses seem to be limited to 62. My 1992 Ward Senator would do 62 if you gave it everything.
My shorty will theoretically do over 80. I've taken it to 75 briefly. 65 is good for me, but I do like passing power on the interstate.
In most cases with later model buses its electronically limited. The ecu has a setting for top speed. The schools have them set where they want them.
Older buses were actually mechanically governed at the fuel pump. And they were usually limited by gearing.
95% of the school buses out there are geared for mostly stop and go driving. A big component of "conversion" in my book is gearing it for the job.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
yeah many buses seem to be limited to 62. My 1992 Ward Senator would do 62 if you gave it everything.
My shorty will theoretically do over 80. I've taken it to 75 briefly. 65 is good for me, but I do like passing power on the interstate.
In most cases with later model buses its electronically limited. The ecu has a setting for top speed. The schools have them set where they want them.
Older buses were actually mechanically governed at the fuel pump. And they were usually limited by gearing.
95% of the school buses out there are geared for mostly stop and go driving. A big component of "conversion" in my book is gearing it for the job.
I just double-checked It's a 1998 mechanical Cummins engine is that the one that can be adjusted manually or is it most likely gear limited meaning I need a new differential
Old 05-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTwitch View Post
I just double-checked It's a 1998 mechanical Cummins engine is that the one that can be adjusted manually or is it most likely gear limited meaning I need a new differential
what rpm is your engine turning at top speed?
Old 05-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

The bus depot said 62mph at 2600. "But I heard it can go 70mph you just need to adjust it" the garage supervisor said
Old 05-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #10
Bus Geek

No you need regearing if you want to go faster. 2600 is redline. Spinning it any faster will only reduce its lifespan.