Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: TBD
Coachwork: Tbd
Chassis: Tbd
Changing my tire size/type

Hello all, I have been looking at the posts and have not really found an answer to my question(s). I have dayton rims on my bus, I had always thought (because I have never been up close and personal with bus tires) that there were two rims on the rear that went on side by side but these rims ( I have not taken them off yet) appear to be one continuous rim and two tires slide onto them, is that a correct assessment? They are also 9R20 tires and I have yet to find any that size on Goodyear or Michelin websites. I was reading that I might be able to find a taller dayton rim that will fit on my stock mounting points, am I correct in this assessment as well? Is there any bus parts house where I can buy things like drums, pads etc. I am in Alaska so things are sparse here. Any help and info is greatly appreciated

Musicforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Daytons on the rear will be 2 separate rims with a spacer ring between them. They do make 22.5" rims to accommodate tubeless tires and they should be a "bolt up" replacement for the tube types you're running now. The 9.00x20's are an uncommon size these days. Check junkyards if you want to swap to the 22.5 rims (I can't remember if the spacer ring will work, or needs to be swapped).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Daytons on the rear will be 2 separate rims with a spacer ring between them. They do make 22.5" rims to accommodate tubeless tires and they should be a "bolt up" replacement for the tube types you're running now. The 9.00x20's are an uncommon size these days. Check junkyards if you want to swap to the 22.5 rims (I can't remember if the spacer ring will work, or needs to be swapped).

Yes the spacer ring is the same. I did swap my 9.00x20's for 10r22.5 and used the same spacer.

I traded my old tires and rims to a fellow who wanted the split rims for an antique vehicle.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you both for the info, it helps immensely!! This bus will make conversion number three for me and will be I hope super sweet. I did not pay attention to ties/brakes on the previous two as we lived in the lower 48 and had East access to shops to take care of that work. Being in Alaska now, I have to perform all work myself. Our first bus now resides on the island of ometepe in Nicaragua after we sold it and moved back to the USA, and the second bus resides in Nairobi after we also sold that and moved back, this one is a keeper and will enjoy world travel. Does anyone know if there is a conversion from drum to disc? I hate beating drums off on cars and cannot imagine that type of situation on a bus in the middle of nowhere.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
only way is to swap axles for a newer version.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
or buy a newer bus
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Drums are bolted to the back of the hub. Not too hard to get off. However the assembly is very heavy. Usually you pull the axle shaft out, take wheels off, remove the bearing nuts, and outer bearing, then the hub with drums comes off. If you are strong it can be done, really it is best to use a transmission jack.

What year and make is your bus?
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

It is a 1995 international