Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,481
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Check Out This beast

Lots of potential for the right builder. It's in the UK. Weird seeing the double wheels up front. If it were here, it would be mine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185167593...81-19255-0%2F1



__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
s2mikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NM USA KD6WJG
Posts: 1,075
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
And the roof raise is half done!
__________________
Why can't I get Ivermectin for my horses?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 912
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Also looks to be right hand drive. I don't think I totally get why dual steer axles but I've also seen this I think in some South American buses. In US the only time I've seen this is very heavy vehicles like semi tow trucks and driveable cranes. For a bus of average size it just seems like it's unnecessarily complex.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
s2mikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NM USA KD6WJG
Posts: 1,075
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I gives you 1 more braking axle. I can see that coming in handy.
__________________
Why can't I get Ivermectin for my horses?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 103
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
I think that bus is an old race car hauler. The junk on the roof is for tires and spare parts.
Definitely a big project.
jimmythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,273
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I've ridden many a mile in old Bedford VALs, usually with Duple bodies, and always with the venerable Leyland O.400 engine making more noise than progress. The VAL was a product of the 1960s, when anything mini was trandy: Mini cars, mini skirts, and buses with mini-ish wheels to achieve a lower floor height without wheel humps inside. Bear in mind that VALs were front-engined, so their front suspension could be set to ride better even with the weight of a heavy engine next to the driver. Of all the buses I've been on, VALs are not my favorites (actually no Bedfords are); give me a Leyland Leopard or Bristol RE any day!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,481
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythomas View Post
I think that bus is an old race car hauler. The junk on the roof is for tires and spare parts.
Definitely a big project.
Jeez, maybe the title gave it away?
Top Box is observation deck, and can be removed. No storage.

"1966 Bedford VAL classic race transporter coach "


Bus sold for L$2950
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Rwnielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 931
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
How much for a front end alignment?
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
s2mikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NM USA KD6WJG
Posts: 1,075
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Same as a 3 axle truck alignment?
__________________
Why can't I get Ivermectin for my horses?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Golden Valley AZ
Posts: 989
Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I've ridden many a mile in old Bedford VALs, usually with Duple bodies, and always with the venerable Leyland O.400 engine making more noise than progress. The VAL was a product of the 1960s, when anything mini was trandy: Mini cars, mini skirts, and buses with mini-ish wheels to achieve a lower floor height without wheel humps inside. Bear in mind that VALs were front-engined, so their front suspension could be set to ride better even with the weight of a heavy engine next to the driver. Of all the buses I've been on, VALs are not my favorites (actually no Bedfords are); give me a Leyland Leopard or Bristol RE any day!

John

are the front axles also drive axles? the engine seems to be far enough forward to have a trans between it and the front axle?
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Zork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: MA
Posts: 354
Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
How much for a front end alignment?
$500. $20 for the very big antique hammer and $480 to know exactly where to apply the blow.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,273
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
are the front axles also drive axles? the engine seems to be far enough forward to have a trans between it and the front axle?
Nah, of course not! It's merely a conventional truck-configuration front-engine bus, just with an extra front axle. There's no room for a transmission and a driveshaft ahead of the frontmost axle, unless you ran the driveshaft over the axle(s) to a transmission behind the axles, then forward to the axle(s) just like a Bristol RE does. Or maybe use a dropbox like some Eagle buses or MCI's MC5 bus, but that's just another source of mechanical complexity.

There are four-axle buses in Peru, a modern version of the old Sultana four-axle buses in Mexico, but they're the only other buses I know of with two front axles.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:38 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,238
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Eight Wheel Motor Vehicle Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Nah, of course not! It's merely a conventional truck-configuration front-engine bus, just with an extra front axle. There's no room for a transmission and a driveshaft ahead of the frontmost axle, unless you ran the driveshaft over the axle(s) to a transmission behind the axles, then forward to the axle(s) just like a Bristol RE does. Or maybe use a dropbox like some Eagle buses or MCI's MC5 bus, but that's just another source of mechanical complexity.

There are four-axle buses in Peru, a modern version of the old Sultana four-axle buses in Mexico, but they're the only other buses I know of with two front axles.

John
An early example of a four-axle bus is from Eight Wheel Motor Vehicle Co., (1918-1931) who manufactured such a bus (and trucks).



The Fageol (pronounced fadjl) brothers also owned Fadgl Flexible System Inc. (1915-1917)

Which is why Flxible (1919-1974) spell their buses' name oddly.

The patent drawing 1921,
The Pacific (1922)
Fageol Twin Coach (1927)
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20211130-151735_Chrome~3.jpg   Screenshot_20211130-171836_Chrome~2.jpg   Screenshot_20211130-171900_Chrome~2.jpg   Screenshot_20211130-173440_Chrome~2.jpg   Screenshot_20211130-193141_Chrome~2.jpg  

__________________
Ceiling: Framing & Electrical Rough-in
Convert Hatch to AC & Roof Patch
🇺🇸 Frederick Douglass: "If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:04 AM   #14
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Golden Valley AZ
Posts: 989
Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Nah, of course not! It's merely a conventional truck-configuration front-engine bus, just with an extra front axle. There's no room for a transmission and a driveshaft ahead of the frontmost axle, unless you ran the driveshaft over the axle(s) to a transmission behind the axles, then forward to the axle(s) just like a Bristol RE does. Or maybe use a dropbox like some Eagle buses or MCI's MC5 bus, but that's just another source of mechanical complexity.

There are four-axle buses in Peru, a modern version of the old Sultana four-axle buses in Mexico, but they're the only other buses I know of with two front axles.

John

transaxles? or portal axles? It just seems that getting a conventional transmission and driveshafts past those front axles would also be "just another source of mechanical complexity."
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:21 AM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Golden Valley AZ
Posts: 989
Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
An early example of a four-axle bus is from Eight Wheel Motor Vehicle Co., (1918-1931) who manufactured such a bus (and trucks).



The Fageol (pronounced fadjl) brothers also owned Fadgl Flexible System Inc. (1915-1917)

Which is why Flxible (1919-1974) spell their buses' name oddly.

The patent drawing 1921,
The Pacific (1922)
Fageol Twin Coach (1927)

Wow, twin engines and some kind of portal axles? Did these guys have some kind of military connection?
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:36 AM   #16
Bus Crazy
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,238
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Caley & Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Wow, twin engines and some kind of portal axles? Did these guys have some kind of military connection?
Eight Wheel MVC didn't have any direct military contracts, that I know. The Fageols (Twin Coach) did manufacturer wing & fuselage assemblies for Boeing, Grumann, North American & Republic from their Cheektowaga plant.

Early bus builders transitioned from stage coaches at a time when wagon trails were more abundant than roads. The Lincoln highway wasn't yet completed and city streets did not connect to neighboring towns.

Caley & Nash (1880-1947) had a bus with a similar four axle design. This one is from 1922.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20211201-060203_Chrome~2.jpg  
__________________
Ceiling: Framing & Electrical Rough-in
Convert Hatch to AC & Roof Patch
🇺🇸 Frederick Douglass: "If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.