Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymetalgirl View Post
FI’ve been looking for switches that can do that. Can you share where to find them?
Because I used computer control, I used momentary push buttons with an LED lead on them. The relay on the computer switches between the controlled zone and the button LED. If you want to do this without computer control, you need toggle push buttons:
https://www.amazon.com/ESUPPORT-Butt.../dp/B01BWK1CQM

They have five wires. You would wire DC positive to the Green (C) wire, Yellow (NC) to Red (+), Blue (NO) to the light you want to control, Black (-) to both Negative on the light AND Black (-) to your DC negative.

... I think.

kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Can other people turn your lights off and on with their remote?

Yeah. I suppose so. It they have the same unit.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:19 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
In terms of placing lights, I waited until I was fairly certain where everything in the bus was going to end up, and then I did two things:
  • I planned a run going down the middle of the bus all the way to the end, as I wanted a switch/button at the front of the bus I could hit and illuminate the whole bus, even if it was a little more dim than optimal.
  • I placed additional lights in certain zones.
Zones:
  • Hallway (described above)
  • Driver seat
  • Front door
  • Four separate lights for the bedroom/living room area
  • Two zones for the office, one for my desk and one for hers
  • Laundry area
  • Bathroom
  • Three zones in the kitchen: Sink, counter, and door.
  • Unused: Lights in clothes closet and right
  • Unused: Lights directly over bed

Including the main "hallway", each lighting zone represented an activity- if I were bringing groceries into the bus I would want to be able to quickly light up the whole rig. I would want to be able to light up my desk in the office space if I were to use it on its own. If I were doing laundry, or washing dishes in the sink. Or making food, each lighting zone corresponded to something I knew I was going to want to "do".

#NoRegrets.

For one, I ran more outlets than I thought I would need. I ran all double-gang boxes with 20A GFI. I put a GFI in each box- so that I would not have a bunch of boxes tripping if one box turned out to be problematic for some reason. In several places, I used a GFI outlet combined with a 4x USB outlet- up high these are extremely useful. I did however place some 4x USB outlets near the floor- these are close to useless. I will probably move them elsewhere.

Can you clarify on "house vs shore power"? Are you planning on outlets for shore versus outlets on house power? My rig, shore vs house is a mode of the whole build. I flip a switch, everything switches from shore to house / vice versa, with the exception of DC appliances. Speaking of which:

I have several electrical appliances that use DC electricity directly rather than AC shore or inverter power. These include the water pump, all my lighting, NAS, DVR / surveillance system, diesel heaters, speakers. Its good to separate out devices you want to survive power failure this way.
I would love to read your build thread (if you have one), but haven't yet figured out how to find specific ones on this site or how to send private messages either. I know where the skoolie conversion section is on the site, but haven't figured out how to find a specific members' build thread. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm beginning to think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this conversion. Plumbing I think I have down, but I'm feeling lost when it comes to electrical or solar.
Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie01 View Post
I would love to read your build thread (if you have one), but haven't yet figured out how to find specific ones on this site or how to send private messages either. I know where the skoolie conversion section is on the site, but haven't figured out how to find a specific members' build thread. Can you point me in the right direction?
Build thread: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/k...ild-22680.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie01 View Post
I'm beginning to think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this conversion. Plumbing I think I have down, but I'm feeling lost when it comes to electrical or solar.
Just take it one bite at a time. Let us know what specifically you want to accomplish (power) with electrical / solar and one of us can steer you in the right direction.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 09:56 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue-Bird All American RE
Chassis: F204270
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC
HI, What are you using to control all of the separate Light Curicuts controlled by the CPU?
Software and Remote relays please?
Thanks
jfmusic@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote