Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Never coached any teams, not even junior soccer
Chassis: I'm still figuring out what this means
Engine: CAT diesel
Rated Cap: No caps, only hats.
Chicken or Egg?

DMV says I need my bus there to get my class C license. But I need my class C license to legally drive to the DMV. Ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spenceronehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceronehalf View Post
DMV says I need my bus there to get my class C license. But I need my class C license to legally drive to the DMV. Ideas?

I guess you have to find someone else with a license to drive you there - just like a kid getting that first driver's license had to have a parent or older friend lend a hand/car.

Sent from my Ascend Mate 2 using Tapatalk
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

If your bus is registered and titled as an RV all you should need is a regular driver's license.

I know there are some jurisdictions that require a different regular license to drive RV's over a certain size. If that is the case with you, make sure the seats are out and anything having to do with a school bus (stop paddle, crossing arm, 8-way lights, School Bus id, etc.) need to be removed and or disabled. The less your school bus looks like a school bus the better it will be for you.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Yep in illinois, although I thought that big bus you got would weigh in for a class B like mine.

You just need to get someone with the right license to get it to the dmv for you.

You are licensed by weight here CDL or not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
Skoolie

The bus manual I found online says 36k lbs. that's what puts us up into class c. Will find a buddy

Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #6
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
Without looking it up, what is required "in" state (intrastate) is not the same as what's required if you drive "out" (interstate) of state: ie: crossing a state line.

Anything vehicle with 16 occupants + (driver included) and traveling across state lines requires a Class B CDL per Federal regulations. Weight doesn't matter. Nor does how many seats the vehicle has, it is based on manufacturer design, even if all the seats are gone. I live 8 miles from a state line and we do 80% of most everything in that state. It kinda sucks but crossing a state line really complicates many things.

The only way around the CDL is to only drive IN state untill you re-title the bus as a motorhome.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...eed_a_cdl.html

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #7
Skoolie

SUPER complicated

I wish I didn't find this licensing part of things so complicated! But I think I get it now: since my bus is already classified as an RV, it sounds like I'll need a Class B (due to weight). At least that's how it sounds now ...

Big thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Skoolie

Nope, motorhomes are exempt air brakes or not. Again, I haven't looked up your state laws but motorhomes are motorhomes not trucks or buses.

If one state requires anything but a regular drivers license for a motorhome they would be able to ticket most any out of state large motorhome driver.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
Skoolie

Getting Clearer

Okay, so you're saying that since my bus is legally a motorhome but has air brakes then I need the CDL. I think I get that.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Never heard of a CDL req for air brakes on an RV in the US. Canada...oui. US ???
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Am in Illinois (unfortunately) and have Class A, hit me up if you need help- near Chicago

Not any DMV will do CDL licensing in this wonderful State- Remember George Ryan/van full of kids that burned/bribes fiasco. I go to Morris DMV, don't forget your birth cert- is required now. DMV is incompetent in il- they get almost half of my transactions correct- They titled one of my semi tractors as a trailer.

Might want to take a class at Jr College, is good investment.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Never heard of a CDL req for air brakes on an RV in the US. Canada...oui. US ???
In Ca a Class B licence allows for comercial Transport of passengers plus theres a another I geuss you would call it a sub category added to the Class B that allows transporting school children which my wife has.

if a RV is over 40ft a Class B ENDORSMENT is req, it's not a cdl your can't drive for hire or carry passengers I believe it's to acknowledge that you know you have a vehicle with air brakes & know how to use & inspect them.

Whats kinda interesting is our 38ft Crown has air brakes but according to the DMV & CHP only a Class C license is req.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
Skoolie

No. As longer as you are titled as a Motorhome you are exempt from weight air brakes. However:

Some states may require an air brake endorsement on a regular licence but that may be the exception not the rule.

Call your local DMV and ask but follow your local state law.

Can you imagine a salesperson saying .... Sorry Sir/Miss we can't sell this $800K -$1.5M motorhome to you since you can't get a CDL. Lol.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #14
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Feds set MINIMUM standards for CDL requirements. States can make more stringent requirements than Fed Minimums.

To rephrase- ALL States that want to continue receiving Federal Funding must abide by Fed Mandatory min req., but they can add other restrictions. Each State is unique.

What flies in your specific State doesn't fly in all States.Some lax States are fine with Fed minimum.

Non-Commercial CDL is what is required for Il- meaning no health screen and no driving for pay, no log book. They put a K on your license.

Furthermore, If you DO hold Commercial CDL, the fines and restrictions are much more harsh. Illinois DUI law is .08, but for CDL- it is .04-- even if you are driving your car. Cellphone use while driving is $1000 fine etc.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
If your bus is registered and titled as an RV all you should need is a regular driver's license.
LOL there is no regular license in illinois... there are 6 different classes of "regular" license. That's before you even start thinking of cdl stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
No. As longer as you are titled as a Motorhome you are exempt from weight air brakes. However:

Some states may require an air brake endorsement on a regular licence but that may be the exception not the rule.

Call your local DMV and ask but follow your local state law.

Can you imagine a salesperson saying .... Sorry Sir/Miss we can't sell this $800K -$1.5M motorhome to you since you can't get a CDL. Lol.

I do remember looking at a 45ft with a tag axle & the salesman telling me I could buy it but couldn't drive it without the Class b endorsement
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #17
Skoolie

A Non-Commercial CDL... hmmm, a 'Non-Commercial Commercial Drivers Licence" sound like a play on words. Over length (45+) may be one thing but states are free to make there own rules more stringent than federal.

California is a good example of that.

Below is a list of driver license requirements state by state. It's pretty interesting. Of course they can't all be the same

https://www.fcrv.org/documents/legis-licenses-15.pdf