Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Child Check-Mate

Hi,

The bus that I just bought has a system called Child Check-Mate. Itís designed to ensure bus drivers check the bus for sleeping kids before parking it.

Does anyone have information on deinstalling this thing?

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Hi, I found this on the Internet. This describes installation, so if anyone finds themselves needing to remove it, just watch it in reverse.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Hi,

The bus that I just bought has a system called Child Check-Mate. Itís designed to ensure bus drivers check the bus for sleeping kids before parking it.

Does anyone have information on deinstalling this thing?
I know this is an old post - but did you have any problems deleting the Child Check-Mate system? Going to tackle this week, but 2% worried there may be adverse effect.
Bear Gerschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:27 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
I know this is an old post - but did you have any problems deleting the Child Check-Mate system? Going to tackle this week, but 2% worried there may be adverse effect.
Iím sorry, I honestly donít remember. I think I just unplugged the little white box and that was that
Old 05-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
The child checkmate is tied to the ignition. If you have a sensor or wire disconnected anywhere in the system, it will disable your ability to start your bus.

Fortunately, it's a 2-minute fix to disable. I followed a YouTube video and moved where one wire was connected. Problem solved.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you have an IH bus I learned that you can disable the starter inhibit system with Servicemaxx..

I workjed with someone recently who was told by 2 mechanics that their starter was bad.. I turned the start inhibit feature off in the computer and the truck fired right up.. (T-444E)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

My bus thankfully came with vandlock removed. My child checkmate appeared to be active and had a buzzer that would scream if I tried to park the bus and remove the key or open the door - I’m sorry I never really understood the trigger. But my electrical modification was very minimal. I unplugged the seven-way flasher, removed the stop sign, capping the wires, remove the arm on the front and unplugged the child checkmate. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. Check the video I posted though. It seemed authoritative. Mark your wires and connections. Be prepared to put it back the way it was if you have problems.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I keep reading this title and assuming it's somebody that had to give up their skoolie dream because they had a kid.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I keep reading this title and assuming it's somebody that had to give up their skoolie dream because they had a kid.
thank you for the laugh on that one

Update on the Child Check-Mate System - fully removed in our 1995 Bluebird/ International Nd all is well.
All alarms, sensors, checkmate system removed - she starts right up, goes into gear no problem.

I kept her running as I disconnected everything to be sure nothing triggered a kill-switch. I think I got lucky because of the year, it looks like it was all installed "after market" so everything came out easy.
-fun side note: I found the original bill of sale from the manufacturer to the AZ bus sales burried inside the dash - dated 5/15/1995

I'm thinking about disconnecting the yellow "bus bar" that the red/amber flashers are all connected to - right now they aren't doing anything anyway. (I want to connect the rear red flashers to the brake lights for added visibility.)
Bear Gerschafer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check-mate