Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Cleaning inside of the bus?

I got all of the seats out of my 93 bus and now I'm working on cleaning it up. I filled a few brown paper bags with all of the junk laying around on the floors and stuff that fell out of the seats. So far, I have found 79 cents!!! I told my wife that we are already making a return on the bus investment. Anyways, some of this stuff on the walls is pretty stubborn. I was in there yesterday with a big gas powered power washer trying to get that stuff out and it wouldn't budge. Also, I was under the impression when I bought the bus, that buses had plywood between the metal on bottom, and rubber on top. My bus is simply a metal floor with rubber on top. I guess that most people put plywood down on top of that right? Should I pull up the rubber part? How about the aisleway part? If I should use plywood, how thick should it be? Thanks!

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Mine is also metal on top of rubber, and I too left the rubber in place. Most of it will be covered with carpet anyway, and a few sections I've already installed vynal floor tiles.... If you leave the rubber down, use a primer on the rubber before laying the tile, they stick real well to it!! (they sell the primer at Lowes)

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
cleaning the inside

You'll find some of that "stuff" is bubblegum, some left over sandwiches, others? A HOT water pressure washer is preferred as it will soften gum with the heat. I left my floor rubber down as it was put down on steel for life, no wood. If you look at my gallery pictures we left the runner down the middle of the isle to keep the carpet from getting all the dirt and we really like that. We also found for insulating the floor that you can squeeze 2" styrofoam up between the floor crossmembers if cut a little too wide and it seems permanent. I suppose you could drill a few holes in the floor crossmembers and fill them with foam too, this way you don't loose any head room. It depends if you are planning on doing any harsh winter camping or just when the weather is enjoyable. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I can't tell you how amazed I am at Goo Gone (and similar products). Also right up there is the Mr. Clean Magic eraser and citrus based paint strippers. All of them might be worth a try. When we cleaned my floor, I parked on a hill, swept it out, sprayed with a hose, applied TSP and scrubs, andrinsed several times. It worked great and the primer on the bare metal floor stuck really well.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaustintx
We are lucky we had no plywood in the floors
Why Jimmy? Mine had steel, plywood then rubber and all is good.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote