Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: clearance/understorage/floor space/traveling

I have a BlueBird. If there is more clearance it's not but a couple inches. Although I can't really say for sure. I can't even go out an measure since we are in TX & the bus is in NM. Ours is 40 ft long and it came out of the mountains of NC. That means some really steep driveways & roads off a flat road. There is no damage under our bus that looks like it dragged or anything. And it was used to ferry river rafters to and from the river. I do know that the steps at the door are 24" below the bottom of the floor (side panels are not that low... 18" maybe).

As for traveling in Mexico, try asking that question over at http://www.escapees.com discussion forums. There are a lot of folks who spend a great deal of time south of the border. I do know that you have to have special Mexican insurance that you have to buy thru Mexican insurance companies. They are saying the area close to the border is dangerous but farther away it gets safer. I don't keep up with those threads. I have no grand desire to go Mexico. I don't care for the food, we don't speak the language (so we're bound to get into trouble) and based on the Mexicans here in Corpus... they are very bigoted against non-Mexicans (also ran into that in NC).But then I also have no desire to see France, Italy or any of those other "must see" countries. Now Scotland, Australia/New Zealand and Germany (much less so) are the only foreign countries that I would want to see. My first goal is to see more of the US. It's such a big country and we have seen so little of it (one day I want to make it up to Alaska to do the "top of the world" drive). I would rather go to Canada. We watched CBC on our C-Band sat dish and saw so much of Canada on TV that we would like to see it up close and personal.. and for more than the few hours we spent at Niagara Falls. But that's us.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
...I would rather go to Canada. We watched CBC on our C-Band sat dish and saw so much of Canada on TV that we would like to see it up close and personal.. and for more than the few hours we spent at Niagara Falls. But that's us.
The only warning that I have for you about coming to visit Canada is that you may never want to leave! Especially if you get to spend time in the Rocky Mountains or into British Columbia at all.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURA VIDA
...Thanks for the info on Escapees RV Club. When we have the $70 to spare, I will definitely sign up for it....
You do not need to be a member to read/post on the forums.
Go to www.escapees.com
Click on "Wannabes"
Click on "Knowledge and Education"
Scroll down and click on "Escapees Discussion Forum"

Lurk or post. You will need to sign in to post (no cost).
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
... The only warning that I have for you about coming to visit Canada is that you may never want to leave! Especially if you get to spend time in the Rocky Mountains or into British Columbia at all.
I don't know if I could learn to end every sentence with a question... eh? and I'm still pissed at CBC for going digital in the middle of the viewing season (never did find out how the season ended on Street Legal... I think I had watched it for about 4 years and got left on a cliff... hanging! I think one of the characters died... but I don't know. )

When the girls were in Head Start... we had to limit their watching of Canadian Sesame Street. They would count 1-5 in English and 6 -10 in French. They had French words scattered all thru their vocabulary (They were twins and had their own language as well). Head Start kept telling me something was wrong with them. Finally had the girls count 1-10 for David & I and we started laughing. Had to tell the teachers and speech therapist the girls were speaking French. The girls are now 23 yo and they still refer to Kentucky Fried Chicken as "Poulet Frit" but they don't speak French!

We really liked our C Band Sat Dish.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
...When the girls were in Head Start... we had to limit their watching of Canadian Sesame Street. They would count 1-5 in English and 6 -10 in French. They had French words scattered all thru their vocabulary (They were twins and had their own language as well). Head Start kept telling me something was wrong with them. Finally had the girls count 1-10 for David & I and we started laughing. Had to tell the teachers and speech therapist the girls were speaking French. The girls are now 23 yo and they still refer to Kentucky Fried Chicken as "Poulet Frit" but they don't speak French!

We really liked our C Band Sat Dish.
That is soooo funny because when I was young we didn't have Canadian Sesame Street and I learned to count to 10 in Spanish!!! I much prefer American Sesame Street to Canadian. Especially the old stuff from the '70s when they taught sign language and Mr. Hooper was still alive. I still can't figure out why everyone loves Elmo. Seriously though, I don't really know hardly any french, we just don't get that much exposure to it out West.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Yup, that's pretty disgusting Smitty!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #7

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Good luck on your trip. How much were the white buses ?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote