Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Skoolie

Clearcoat questions

This question is for those of you who have clearcoated your bus after painting(Jason). Was at the auto paint supply picking up tape and asked the guy about which clearcoat I needed. They had several to choose from. He asked if I had a catalytic based paint. I replied no, just regular oil paint. Problem he says is that an oil base paint that has to air dry actually takes over a year to completely to harden and if I encase that paint in a solid like a clearcoat it will eventually get the "fisheye" effect. Now I have never heard Jason mention anything to that effect on his completed jobs or anyone else if they have clearcoated. Jason? Anyone else?
Thoughts? Actually the gallon set of catalyst and clearcoat is $80. Not bad.....

reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Clearcoat questions

hey rep believe it or not i have painted a few hot rods in my time and paint is very complicated in my opinion the clearcoat is not chemmy balanced with the lower end paints and will fail at some time . but the lower end paint will fail too after time to paint your bus with even a single stage auto paint the cost would be 6 to 7 hundred dollars easily to base coat ant then clearcoat would be way more up to 1000 or more in paint alone to throw 100 bucks of clear on a 300 low end paint is a toss of the dice but if i was not happy with the gloss i would do it in a heartbeat. but i know how to sand them off old buddy lets see what jason says he will know the results better than me cause i have not done it! hey rep can we see the pictures of julie painting the bus yet? timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Bus Geek

the short answer is that i have no idea....

i'm ignorant when it comes to different kinds of automotive paint, clearcoat, and the like. i've used clearcoat two different times. On one bus i didn't keep it long enough to see what happened long term, but it sure looked good for the time that i owned it. the other bus i had for at least a couple years after i painted. even partly submerged it in the ocean for a few days, and never had any sort of problems as far as clearcoat not playing nicely with the paint......I did end up with a few rust/corrosion marks sometime after the ocean incident, but i don't think that was at all related to the clearcoat.

if the pro-paint guy thinks you might have issues, he's probably correct. I'm sure he has far more expertise in the paint department than i do.

i just started the painting process on my new bus today....and i'm gonna clearcoat it when i'm done.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Skoolie

Thanks all. We are going to go ahead and clearcoat anyway. What the hell, it's just a bus, right? When peeling tape yesterday had a couple of spots that came off with the tape(suck). Way to go, Timbuk! And thanks Jason and Smitty. Can't wait to see the new Jacuzzi bus. And Timbuk, PIcs!
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Bus Geek

when removing the masking after painting flames i too have had places in the past where the blue painters tape removed a bit of my new paint....probably because i didn't allow enough days in between for drying. I've used a brush to fix those areas, and somewhere along the way i ended up with a cheap air brush for like $15 and now i use that for touch-ups.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

another good tip would be not to paint in the snow(yep its snowing today) argh
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote