Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Clutch type

Hi, All. My bus, 90 IHC bluebird, dt466, spicer 5 speed. I have been collecting all the parts to turn this into an mt643. But now I,m leaning towards keeping the 5 speed. My quesetion is... does any one have this setup in their bus and what ype of clutch do you have? My biggest concern is pedal effort. Right now I have a single plate pull clutch. Thinking of going 2 plate. Any input?

bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I'm no mechanic, but from what I understand multiple discs will increase longevity but also increase effort. Just my $0.02. I'm no heavyweight but I found the average clutch in a semi to be no real trouble.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:35 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
My biggest concern is pedal effort. Right now I have a single plate pull clutch. Thinking of going 2 plate. Any input?
My '97 has the 466E with the Spicer 5 sp....single plate. Probably 80% of all the vehicles I've ever owned were manuals.....I just prefer the additional control of my shift points. Sure, this clutch is stiffer, but look at how much beefier all the surrounding components are.

Were there any issues with driving it home after initial purchase, that make you WANT the 643? Are you foreseeing an inordinate amount of stop-n-go traffic? If so, I'd probably drop the 643 in there. Going to a multi-plate system in a low-power bus application just seems like a waste of money, given that multi-plate is for increased performance, and that every Int. mechanic I've talked to has said that the Eaton/Spicer combo is virtually indestructible in a bus.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
There were no issues involving the clutch except uncomfortable pedal effort. Thats why I would like to hear from people with the 2 plate clutch. I have considered an eaton easy pedal but I need to use a pot flywheel and that has a lot more weight to the rotating assembly. I want to stick to a flat flywheel .
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:04 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have a 12" spicer ceramic clutch in mine. Yes a little heavy but even in stop and go traffic it is still reasonable for me. The ceramic discs tend to be a little grabby compared to the organic disc. So if comfort is your goal stick with organic.

It might be worth checking to see if Centerforce has a clutch for your application. They make a nice lower (pedal)pressure clutch. It has weights so that as rpm's go up pressure increases on the disc. Very effective in the trucks I have used them in, smooth engagment and lighter pedal effort.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote