Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
Cockpit leak

I have a leak in my bus. Its dripping on the accelerator and in the corner by the fan. My best guess since last Saturday on the roof seems to have cured all the other leaks is that the ventilation system is flooding. Carpenter is bound to have come up with a solution for that but I bet something has happened to the fix. A drain outlet that's blocked would be my first thought. Has anybody any ideas?

Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Leaks are the bane of all bus repair techs. The problem is where the water enters can be a really long way away from where the water drips.

You didn't specify if you are working on a Type 'D' or a Type 'C' bus. The places to look are similar but not the same.

On Type 'D' buses the most common area of leaks are from around the window seal. You may also want to check around the area where the cross over lights were installed.

On Type 'C' buses the most common area of leaks up front occur where the wiper posts go through the body and the join between the bus body and the OEM supplied chassis.

Rarely when buses are old enough to be in the used market and sold for conversion most roof leaks have already been solved. But on Carpenter body buses they will leak sometimes along the inside edge of the rub rails that go lengthwise on the roof of the bus. They also sometimes leaked in around the front fresh air ventilator.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
Its a conventional bus. I suspect the roof vent is the source but I can caulk around the wiper mount. I need to get a new wiper motor for the right wiper.
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote