Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Almost There

Completely off Grid Water Filtration

So I’m designing my water system, and I want to be able to stay off grid for long periods.
I was planning on using a 3 stage water filter and a UV filter.
I would put the 3 stage filter, the UV Filter, and the pump, on the intake end of the system so that my 100-300 feet of food grade hose doesn’t get dirty and the pump works at its best.
Has anyone done this?
Is there any legal issues with pulling 200 gallons of water out of a river or stream?

On a side note
Is it ok to dump gray water tanks off grid?
I don’t see why not, assuming we are using biodegrade-able soaps, etc.

Rberriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Recent discussion on the disposal of grey water indicate that if it's in a tank it's illegal to dump grey water anywhere but in an approved disposal area. However if you bath in a bucket then throw out the same water it is somehow less illegal.

Points sighted are dishwashing areas in camp grounds where nearly everyone washes their dishes and the grey water simply runs on the ground.

Basically if the grey water runs through plumbing in your vehicle it's illegal to dump on the ground. A bucket of dishwater, not so much. Of course in a fancy smansy campground they aren't going to like seeing you dump anything.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Want to do the same thing. Have an inlet from a fresh water source that goes through a few filters before getting in my fresh water tank. Then having a final filter under the sink for my drinking water faucet.

Interested in the filter setup you decide.
Havent done my research on that part yet.
dspizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspizzle View Post
Want to do the same thing. Have an inlet from a fresh water source that goes through a few filters before getting in my fresh water tank. Then having a final filter under the sink for my drinking water faucet.

Interested in the filter setup you decide.

Havent done my research on that part yet.

I’ll let you know
Old 02-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have done very much what you are describing.

I collected rainwater and, in emergency circumstances, may have pumped some water from a creek.

I started out with a 3 stage filter with a UV filter for the final stage. It worked but, at times, the filter cartridges plugged up quickly. The system change that made it work was the addition of a flushable sand filter as the first stage.

I used that system for about six years. The last three years was full time.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I've also struggled with this filtration issue. From what I've read using canister filters that remain wet are a breeding ground for whatever is in the water.

I use a few ounces of 30% H2O2 in my tanks which oxygenates the water and keeps it from smelling like a fish tank. I'm on spring water in the mountains but there is always a certain amount of organic matter that comes from springs. I notice particulate matter that settles out in the bottom of my tank using this method. The peroxide kills the organic matter and it settles out, so once in a while I rinse my tank.

UV is good but you’re still drinking the dead organisms from the water. Reverse osmosis is probably the best filtration method, but also the most wasteful.

Beyond that the only thing I’ve come up with is distilling your own water. There are commercially available water stills, but you can also use an old pressure cooker or something similar to evaporate and condense the water. Very popular these days because you can use any water.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I've also struggled with this filtration issue. From what I've read using canister filters that remain wet are a breeding ground for whatever is in the water.

I use a few ounces of 30% H2O2 in my tanks which oxygenates the water and keeps it from smelling like a fish tank. I'm on spring water in the mountains but there is always a certain amount of organic matter that comes from springs. I notice particulate matter that settles out in the bottom of my tank using this method. The peroxide kills the organic matter and it settles out, so once in a while I rinse my tank.

UV is good but you’re still drinking the dead organisms from the water. Reverse osmosis is probably the best filtration method, but also the most wasteful.

Beyond that the only thing I’ve come up with is distilling your own water. There are commercially available water stills, but you can also use an old pressure cooker or something similar to evaporate and condense the water. Very popular these days because you can use any water.

If I’m pumping out of a stream or river
How about a 3 stage filter to a reverse osmosis system. I don’t care about waste. The whole setup would be “portable” and near the water source. So any cast off would go right back.
As far as keeping the filters wet.
Can they be dried out after using to prevent this issue?
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Almost There

Hmm reverse osmosis production is super slow
Old 02-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Osmosis and distillation systems are something you just leave running throughout the day. Distillation is the least wasteful and the simplest.

During cold temperature it's easy to set up a large pressure canner so that the steam goes through a condensation tube and into a collection container. Having a distillation system working would also add to the heat inside the bus.

I usually have a 2 gallon pressure cooker on my hotplate that I leave on low most of the time, yes because I'm on the grid. The heat from the pressure cooker is significant inside the bus without it adding humidity from cooking.

I haven't started distilling water yet but it ticks all the boxes as far as clean drinking water while traveling.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
I used a 3-stage filter and a UV light for the discharge filtration for a rain water collection system. Works great as long as the water isn't mucky. A stream or lake with water that doesn't kill the wildlife would be fine, though drink at your own risk.
A local lake here gets enough toxin from blue-green algae blooms to kill those who take a drink. I don't know how you get rid of that.
The RV Water Filter Store is where I bought my filtration unit.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Distillation gets rid of everything. It's the only method that does get rid of everything.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rberriz View Post
If I’m pumping out of a stream or river
How about a 3 stage filter to a reverse osmosis system. I don’t care about waste. The whole setup would be “portable” and near the water source. So any cast off would go right back.
As far as keeping the filters wet.
Can they be dried out after using to prevent this issue?
You will likely be replacing filter elements quite frequently. I tried this with a creek in the mountains. The water was very clear and clean appearing. I was very disappointed at how quickly the filter became plugged.

I remedied this by pre-filtering with a flushable sand filter. I found a small pool filter (sand) and filled it with a crushed glass media. That solved the filter life problem.

Is this a fairly permanent/fixed installation or do you need it to be mobile?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
You will likely be replacing filter elements quite frequently. I tried this with a creek in the mountains. The water was very clear and clean appearing. I was very disappointed at how quickly the filter became plugged.

I remedied this by pre-filtering with a flushable sand filter. I found a small pool filter (sand) and filled it with a crushed glass media. That solved the filter life problem.

Is this a fairly permanent/fixed installation or do you need it to be mobile?

Mobile
But I know I can get a pretty all sand filter for a built in hot tub.
That’s a pretty good idea
So sand filter
3 stage
Then UV

That should work nicely