Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Considering buying this

I'm looking at this bus. Price has dropped from $6500 to $5200 (there may be an Alaska markup to consider, but I can't really buy in another state)

It's about an hour from me, and I'm wondering if the ad sets off any red flags for anyone. I'm reaching out to the guy to try to get more info.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/hvo/6110015647.html

mh_ccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's kind of hard to tell. My red flags start with no engine/transmission description. Lack of pictures is also a problem. If you go see it and they guy's wife isn't pregnant, I'd bail.

Personally I don't like buying large items from Craigslist. There are mostly resellers on there, meaning if you buy direct from the bus barn you'd pay considerably less. Also there's people that get into a bus and then find something seriously wrong with it that are trying to get their money back out of it.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_ccl View Post
I'm looking at this bus. Price has dropped from $6500 to $5200 (there may be an Alaska markup to consider, but I can't really buy in another state)

It's about an hour from me, and I'm wondering if the ad sets off any red flags for anyone. I'm reaching out to the guy to try to get more info.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/hvo/6110015647.html

I agree with Robin. He mentions the miles but did not describe motor and trans condition. I would call the owner and have him send you pictures via mail or text before you make the long drive.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:57 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I'm still trying to get info on bus #1 (henceforth known as Black Bus). However, a few more options popped up.
We walked through this one today. Bus # (old school yellow) has 214k miles and a wheelchair lift.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/ctd/6107243429.html
And the price on this bus (#3, aka Big Red) just dropped from 12500 to 9900. It's painted, registered through 2018,and has seatbelts (we will need a few to secure car seats while we travel). It's newer and has lower miles.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/6128295553.html
Any thoughts on these options?
Old 05-14-2017, 12:35 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

And i got updated info on the black bus. I'm interpeting this as a cat engine and Alison transmission?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

The data plate suggests you have a 210 HP Cat 3126 and Allison 2000 series power package.

At $4200.00 I doubt you will find another bus that meets those spe'c's at a price you could move it from the lower 48 up to AK for the same price.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It's kind of hard to tell. My red flags start with no engine/transmission description. Lack of pictures is also a problem. If you go see it and they guy's wife isn't pregnant, I'd bail.

Personally I don't like buying large items from Craigslist. There are mostly resellers on there, meaning if you buy direct from the bus barn you'd pay considerably less. Also there's people that get into a bus and then find something seriously wrong with it that are trying to get their money back out of it.
Robin. I totally disagree. When you know what too look at; then any venue will do. Any inexperienced buyer will cost themselves money in any venue. I agree that there are some very unscrupulous sellers out there. I got mine from Craigslist and he told me the truth about everything. Watching Craigslist daily and you can get a sense of resellers and you can get good buses from them.Some you can't. Inspecting any bus is paramount. I passed up some very good conversions looking back at it know. You can save thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time by purchasing a old conversion and redoing it. You might say that you get the fresh water, gray tank and black tank plus electrical free.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

For some reason, my older replies don't seem to have posted. There are 2 other busses in the mix up here.

My husband and I went to see this one on Friday. (Bus #2, aka Old Yellow) It would need painting and is smaller. The wheelchair lift might be useful for packing to move, but would probably be an annoyance to get rid of later. It had tracks on the wall and floor we could use for cargo tie downs. $4k, 214k miles
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/ctd/6107243429.htmlhttps://anchorage.craigslist.org/ctd/6107243429.html

Then there's bus #3 (aka Big Red). They just dropped the price from $12.5k to $9.9k. Newer bus with lower miles, already painted, has seatbelts (we need 2 to secure car seats for the trip). But I feel like the price is still too high, plus the seller is giving false information about being able to register it as an RV and not needing a CDL.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/6128295553.htmlhttps://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/6128295553.html

Attached pictures are from Old Yellow

Old 05-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
Bus Geek

I agree, you have go know what to look for. My issues begin with a seller not displaying basic vehicle information in his add. My issues continue when a seller puts off sending information and gives excuses for why he can't provide information at this time.

Perhaps as you say it's a mistake on my part, but if someone is selling something it's only reasonable that they would put out as much information about what they want to sell when they create the add. To me a lack of information either means the seller didn't know what he was doing when he placed the add (unlikely) or he was hiding something.

If a bus is an eight hour drive away with inadequate vehicle information posted and I can't get information from the seller, it's history. I'd fly across the country to get the right bus and bring it home, but I'd have to have all the information I needed on the bus before I'd consider opening my wallet. Just my opinion. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

I don't like the red one. I will freely admit that most of my dislike about it is not based on a lot of fact but mostly feelings.

First, I don't particularly like Cat engines (it has been said before and I won't rehash why).

Second, I really don't like the curved glass windshields. Those are not cheap when they break and they get broken about as often as the flat glass. You can replace both sides a couple of times with flat glass for what it will cost once for the curved glass. Also, due to how thick my glasses are, except for looking straight ahead those curved glass windshields tend to distort for me.

Last, the bus isn't a high roof model. At those prices I would want to have the 12" windows and not the 9".

The Old Yellow bus is a big question for me. For one thing, I don't like it doesn't describe what engine or transmission it has. For another, the pictures are of two different buses. One bus has yellow plates the other bus has the white/blue/yellow plates. One clearly has a lift and the other does not. So one has to wonder which bus is which and which one is actually being listed?
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
old yellow pictures show its a 3126 with a 2000 allison... probably a 2500..

its big red i dont see any specs for..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
old yellow pictures show its a 3126 with a 2000 allison... probably a 2500..

its big red i dont see any specs for..
-Christopher
Old Yellow may have mixed pictures because they had several busses at one point. This is the last one, and is a 32 with the lift. (They bought a bunch at the last bus auction)
I also get an uneasy feeling about the red bus. I'm trying to get someone to go look at the black bus with me tomorrow.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:45 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Old Yellow may have mixed pictures because they had several busses at one point. This is the last one, and is a 32 with the lift. (They bought a bunch at the last bus auction)
I also get an uneasy feeling about the red bus. I'm trying to get someone to go look at the black bus with me tomorrow.

Whens the next bus auction?
I'd go there instead of mess with CL middlemen.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
For some reason, my older replies don't seem to have posted. There are 2 other busses in the mix up here.

My husband and I went to see this one on Friday. (Bus #2, aka Old Yellow) It would need painting and is smaller. The wheelchair lift might be useful for packing to move, but would probably be an annoyance to get rid of later. It had tracks on the wall and floor we could use for cargo tie downs. $4k, 214k miles
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/ctd/6107243429.htmlhttps://anchorage.craigslist.org/ctd/6107243429.html

Then there's bus #3 (aka Big Red). They just dropped the price from $12.5k to $9.9k. Newer bus with lower miles, already painted, has seatbelts (we need 2 to secure car seats for the trip). But I feel like the price is still too high, plus the seller is giving false information about being able to register it as an RV and not needing a CDL.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/6128295553.htmlhttps://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/6128295553.html

Attached pictures are from Old Yellow

Tread depth matters less than the Age of the tire and the SIDEWALLS.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

We went out to look at the Black Bus yesterday and I offered a deposit to hold the bus pending a full mechanical inspection. While I didn't actually see his pregnant wife, I got a very honest vibe from the guy. Former army infantry, bought the bus to start a business driving firefighters around AK, but started getting migraines. Basic research supports this story: he's got a DOT number for the bus and a business license for the company. I also checked him out for a criminal record. Mostly mundane except for one incident 8 years ago.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Well cool. I thought you'd have it inspected while you were there. Did you get a chance to drive it?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Well cool. I thought you'd have it inspected while you were there. Did you get a chance to drive it?
Ideally we would have, but I flutist find anyone to meet us. It was last minute, we realized that we had babysitters lined up for the kids because it was our anniversary. I said "forget fancy dinner, let's go look at a bus!"
I did drive it, which made me nervous. And I just went to the DMV and passed my written test on the first try!

Old 05-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Wow, what an anniversary present to each other.

Are you guys thinking about it for a while? This is no different than buying a used car, except a bit larger. It's normal for you to drive with white knuckles for a while while you're getting used to driving the bus. It will pass.