Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

I have been working on a shortie for the last three years and struggle with burnout too. Your post pretty much sums up what I struggle with, off and on, regarding my build. Everything seems to take way longer than it seems it should compounded by redoing much of the work because there is always a better way. It sounds like you have a lot of the boring stuff done. Maybe just consider shortcutting the build to a functional schoolie as opposed to the perfect schoolie? Not to say you are actually trying to build the perfect schoolie. Your bus sounds like a pretty good platform for a build. There is always the likelihood of major mechanical repairs no matter what type of motorhome you own. A friend of mine bought a low mileage bounder motorhome that broke down constantly to the point that they never actually did a vacation and eventually sold for a fraction of what they had into it. I plan on living out of my schoolie after retiring and doing extended trips to Canada/Mexico and maybe South America, so a small camp trailer wouldn't work for me, especially for winter trips. So it really comes down to what works for you.

Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:03 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
Yeah definitely something to consider. But we previously had a small camper and loved it, even being small. Smaller than an RPod.

One thing I just recalled is pulling into a campground out in the desert in AZ.
Just picturing a 32' skoolie and a trailer and how that would fit.

The skoolie allows for comfort, but it also seems something that big also limits you in parking and some roads.

Honestly if I was single I would sell it in a heartbeat and get the RPod. The older I get the less BS I want to deal with.

Curious why you got into the skoolie world? What was the attraction?

Sell it while you can.

Good luck,
Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:16 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
OK so I put the bus up for sale here under 2004 International For Sale.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/2...ale-36071.html

Will probably put it up on trucktrader and maybe ebay motors.
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:49 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Joe, best of luck to you and godspeed to your friend. I am 51 and although I didnt get burned out from working on the bus, I am getting burned out from being an electrical contractor. The BS I deal with GC's and the like as well as material shortages, employee BS's just make me wonder why am I doing this... My time is limited on this earth and the next day is not guaranteed to us. I have been looking for fabricators to come and take over some aspects of my bus due to my work encroaching my life. Several enthusiastic referred guys came over and were excited to do the work I needed to free me up. Money wasn't a concern as time is what's more limiting. So none showed up and the beautiful AZ weather is turning to hell as summer approaches. In the end, I just bought a plasma cutter and went to town cutting out the skirting and doing the underfloor storage build. I devoted three weekends and kicked ass in the process. That said, I truly understand where you are coming from. My wife asks me when are we going to go somewhere? My reply is "when the bus is done!" I am on a friggin' mission to see this thing through the metal work so I can shove it off to an RV paint shop for the summer months. Time is short and I believe from reading your story you are doing the right thing. Who knows.... I may end up selling mine. Doesn't mean I am giving up on a dream but realizing that with so many skoolies out there, regulations will make the bus life more of a challenge and a chore. At this point we plan on using it for country sight seeing and returning to our gorgeous house. Keep in touch. Where are you in AZ? I am in East Mesa. If you're close, please stop by for a chat!
Old 05-19-2021, 12:18 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
My .02 cents worth.
Years ago while I was in the Chris Craft restoration phase I read a book by the Gougeon bros( premier boat restorers) something they wrote stays with me, many trying to restore a wooden boat fail because they go too far. What they suggested was keeping that boat usable and doing the work in smaller sections. I have said in other threads my opinion is the best thing for a piece of machinery is to keep it moving while you’re building it. This is as much for the bus as for your sanity. Last April I finished my import inspections and rv registration and then the first thing I did was the completion of an air ride seat for my wife. A fast slammed in bed, galley and toilet and we were cruising several weeks in the BC
Rockies and both had a fantastic time together. My point being we will all experience the burnout so we need to figure out a solution before it happens.
Good luck guys
cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:33 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I saw the OP other thread offering his bus for sale, so I'm not sure if this thread is still relevant. But, here goes anyway.

It's been a tough 18 months for the world. There's a lot of people trying to figure out where they want or are going to land. I'm not surprised you're going through this dilemma.

Burnout: We've all been there. I'm not sure, but I think I'm close to or at three years in converting my bus. But, I keep getting juiced back up again after a conquering some major task, make a final decision on how I'm going to do something or finally find the right vendor for the part I need. The pictures of your bus are really nice. You've done good work.

Life Happens: There's a saying about meeting people that basically is we meet others for a reason, a season or a lifetime. I think this applies to projects like bus conversions. You did it for a reason and a season, but now you just want to actually GO somewhere and DO something besides converting.

Maybe, there's a third option.

Add the culvert, cover it and park the bus on your property.

Buy the R-pod an go have some fun.

Come back from going and doing and experiencing the R-Pod and then, if the answer of sell or build is still not obvious, ponder it through the winter.

There's always a buyer with wanderlust in their eyes.

Best of luck.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
My .02 cents worth.
Years ago while I was in the Chris Craft restoration phase I read a book by the Gougeon bros( premier boat restorers) something they wrote stays with me, many trying to restore a wooden boat fail because they go too far. What they suggested was keeping that boat usable and doing the work in smaller sections. I have said in other threads my opinion is the best thing for a piece of machinery is to keep it moving while you’re building it. This is as much for the bus as for your sanity. Last April I finished my import inspections and rv registration and then the first thing I did was the completion of an air ride seat for my wife. A fast slammed in bed, galley and toilet and we were cruising several weeks in the BC
Rockies and both had a fantastic time together. My point being we will all experience the burnout so we need to figure out a solution before it happens.
Good luck guys
cheers

Oscar
Right on!

I'm pushing to get a few things done before going for my first trip to CA, maybe AZ if the bus is well. She won't be painted, no finished ceiling, no shower, but otherwise functional...emphasis on FUNctional.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Best wishes to you, Joe...from a fellow Northern Arizonan.

As to the progressive, minimum viable build...I'm definitely a fan of that and advocate it. A friend of mine...someone I met through this forum, actually...did just that and he's since expressed how glad he is that he did it this way. In just a month, he's realized that many of his plans and "needs" have changed and he's super glad he didn't do a full build first.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Joe, best of luck to you and godspeed to your friend. I am 51 and although I didnt get burned out from working on the bus, I am getting burned out from being an electrical contractor. The BS I deal with GC's and the like as well as material shortages, employee BS's just make me wonder why am I doing this... My time is limited on this earth and the next day is not guaranteed to us. I have been looking for fabricators to come and take over some aspects of my bus due to my work encroaching my life. Several enthusiastic referred guys came over and were excited to do the work I needed to free me up. Money wasn't a concern as time is what's more limiting. So none showed up and the beautiful AZ weather is turning to hell as summer approaches. In the end, I just bought a plasma cutter and went to town cutting out the skirting and doing the underfloor storage build. I devoted three weekends and kicked ass in the process. That said, I truly understand where you are coming from. My wife asks me when are we going to go somewhere? My reply is "when the bus is done!" I am on a friggin' mission to see this thing through the metal work so I can shove it off to an RV paint shop for the summer months. Time is short and I believe from reading your story you are doing the right thing. Who knows.... I may end up selling mine. Doesn't mean I am giving up on a dream but realizing that with so many skoolies out there, regulations will make the bus life more of a challenge and a chore. At this point we plan on using it for country sight seeing and returning to our gorgeous house. Keep in touch. Where are you in AZ? I am in East Mesa. If you're close, please stop by for a chat!

Yeah I really would love to have it finished, but it's just way too much at the same time. I teach art full time, write, draw, am working on a comic book, ideas of my own developing an animated series, working with a partner also developing n animated show (he's in LA), am an Arizona Ranger, and like to be outdoors etc. Just way too much and the bus just takes too much time right now.

I''m in the Show Low/White Mountains area.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I saw the OP other thread offering his bus for sale, so I'm not sure if this thread is still relevant. But, here goes anyway.

It's been a tough 18 months for the world. There's a lot of people trying to figure out where they want or are going to land. I'm not surprised you're going through this dilemma.

Burnout: We've all been there. I'm not sure, but I think I'm close to or at three years in converting my bus. But, I keep getting juiced back up again after a conquering some major task, make a final decision on how I'm going to do something or finally find the right vendor for the part I need. The pictures of your bus are really nice. You've done good work.

Life Happens: There's a saying about meeting people that basically is we meet others for a reason, a season or a lifetime. I think this applies to projects like bus conversions. You did it for a reason and a season, but now you just want to actually GO somewhere and DO something besides converting.

Maybe, there's a third option.

Add the culvert, cover it and park the bus on your property.

Buy the R-pod an go have some fun.

Come back from going and doing and experiencing the R-Pod and then, if the answer of sell or build is still not obvious, ponder it through the winter.

There's always a buyer with wanderlust in their eyes.

Best of luck.

Yeah I've thought of that, but it's money tied up in the bus. Also, I think I would rather tow a small trailer like an Rpod or Casita type and have access to more places than to have to get a trailer for my Tacoma or FJ Cruiser for behind the bus. The idea of trying to park a 32 or 35 foot bus with a 20 floor trailer seems more daunting.

The most relevant factor though is that with my writing and art and working on developing some animation stuff (which takes a lot of time) I just don;t want to spend that time on the bus. It just doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade off.. for me anyway. It's just my personal situation.

I also had a pretty bad backstab from what I thought was a friend whom my wire and I helped. He had lost his job etc and agreed to stay with us and help me with the bus. He wound up being a grifter type and wasted about four months of that time.... and I told him to get the hell out. It all just compounded.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Best wishes to you, Joe...from a fellow Northern Arizonan.

As to the progressive, minimum viable build...I'm definitely a fan of that and advocate it. A friend of mine...someone I met through this forum, actually...did just that and he's since expressed how glad he is that he did it this way. In just a month, he's realized that many of his plans and "needs" have changed and he's super glad he didn't do a full build first.

Yeah things just happen sometimes and we have to be willing to let go. NOTHING comes with us when we die other than our souls. Once a material thing starts becoming an anchor it's time to let it go and sail on.