Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Chassis: International Amtran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 25,500GWR
Contractor Issues - Need Advice

A little back story (TLDR at the end):
My business partner and I are currently renovating a 2002 Amtran 3000IC 33' long wheelchair bus to be used for our film production company/temporary sleeping arrangements on long, remote shoots. We are currently keeping the bus in a storage facility about an hour away from where we live (closest place we could find). The wheelchair lift on the bus didn't work when we bought it, so we took it to an RV shop and had it fixed fairly quickly. We've been using the lift regularly up until the point when we hired someone to gut the bus and do spray foam insulation in it.

The insulation guy hired a contractor friend of his to help with the mechanical aspects of the job, which they did over the course of two days, and did an excellent job, or so we thought. After gutting the bus and disconnecting wires for lights, they let us know that the wheelchair lift didn't work anymore, but not to worry, they'll get it back up and running quickly. He made it sound like all he needed was a couple tools and he'd have the lift working again in a matter of a day or two. My partner and I went to check it out after the guys finished, and while the insulation looked great, we also noticed that one of our windows was cracked. When we called the spray foam guy about the cracked window, he said he had no idea (okay, it is a little dark in the storage facility) but he'd fix that once he could get the exact model window shipped in (which he said is difficult) and he would get his contractor buddy out to repair the lift soon. However, while the insulation guy has been easy to reach by phone, the mechanical contractor rarely gets back to us. When he does respond, it's usually a week or two later with an apology about how busy he's been. Fast forward over a month later and the lift and window are still broken.

They finally took the window out this week with promises of replacing it and attempted to fix the lift. Spray foam dude calls us and tells us that after inspection, the broken wheelchair lift had nothing to do with the work they did on the bus, rather, it was a burned out solenoid. Now they're saying that they can get us a new solenoid (which we would have to purchase) and either we can replace it, or we can pay them to replace it for us. I find it a little hard to believe that the solenoid burned out randomly (yes I know electrical problems can be finicky and seemingly random), but the timing of them working on the bus and the solenoid suddenly burning out seems fishy. I also don't have the luxury of waiting another month for them to get around to repairing something that I believe they broke, because I have a business to run and this bus is an integral part of it. Basically I'm losing money the longer this thing sits in storage.

I'm trying to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that they didn't tell us about the cracked window at all, and the fact that the solenoid just happened to burn out at exactly the same time as they were working on it has me very sceptical. Does anyone know if what they're saying could be true? Did the solenoid just randomly burn out? Or is it really that difficult to get a replacement for a window?

Picture of the bus and me https://imgur.com/FMngFGB

TLDR: The wheelchair lift on our bus, which was working fine, no longer works after a contractor gutted and insulated our bus. He also cracked a window, which he claims is extremely difficult to find a replacement for. Fast forward a month and the lift and window are still broken and now he's saying the lift wasn't his fault, rather, a burned out solenoid. He says to replace the solenoid and the lift will work, but I find the timing of the solenoid and him working on the bus to be a little questionable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
https://imgur.com/FMngFGB

bdzeus is offline   Reply With Quote