Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Bus Co.
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
conversion bus conventions??

Hi Everyone,
My wife and I just went to the Tiny House Jamboree in Colorado Springs and were able to tour 20+ Tiny houses. This convention was very informative and we got a lot of great ideas. But the main thing we got out of this is that we have made a decision as to NOT to get a tiny house, but to go back to our original desires to have a converted bus.
We were wondering if any of you know of any type of conventions where people bring their converted buses and share their experiences and ideas with other like minded people. We have searched this site and Google with no luck.
Thanks for any information.
Michael

mikerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird Comm'l shell
Check for "Bus Rallies" in your area, FWIW there is one Sept 8-11 in Washington state along the Columbia River put on by the NW Bus Nuts
MrDaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:32 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
we've had a few Colorado camp outs on the forum. the last one was in Jun in trinidad. we'll probably do it again next year, fingers crossed! another thread on here is planning one for quartzite, this winter.

there are quite a few Coloradoans on here. 3 or 4 in the springs that post here. a few in denver, and the rest of us scattered all over.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f20/co...2-a-13284.html

find the "skoolie map" thread and you can see where everyone is.

good luck!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
"Tiny house" conventions and get togethers are usually hosted or arranged by folks trying to sell their sheds on wheels. Since they are EASY to build and so quick to go together its becoming quite an industry.
We have a local guy who was on HGTV with his tiny home biz. He charges like $60,000 for something you could build in two weeks for about $4,000.
He has get togethers all the time, but to this day I don't actually know of a single person LIVING full time or at all in a one hundred square foot shed.
The bus thing has been goin for DECADES. Long before the tiny house trends, long before there was a skoolie.net
But the bus thing is largely a DIY movement, not a marketing/money thing. And thats why it will continue. Us bus people are a much hardier lot that the tiny house folks.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
"Tiny house" conventions and get togethers are usually hosted or arranged by folks trying to sell their sheds on wheels. Since they are EASY to build and so quick to go together its becoming quite an industry.
We have a local guy who was on HGTV with his tiny home biz. He charges like $60,000 for something you could build in two weeks for about $4,000.
He has get togethers all the time, but to this day I don't actually know of a single person LIVING full time or at all in a one hundred square foot shed.
The bus thing has been goin for DECADES. Long before the tiny house trends, long before there was a skoolie.net
But the bus thing is largely a DIY movement, not a marketing/money thing. And thats why it will continue. Us bus people are a much hardier lot that the tiny house folks.
Exactly! Bus conversions are the original and still the best Tiny Homes. A "shed on wheels" - I like that! I think most bus conversions have much more usable space than even the largest Tiny Home because we have underfloor storage. I sometimes think of my bus as an earthship on wheels, sort of . . . I've certainly got more solar panels than any Tiny Home ever could have.

Many years ago I worked in the bicycle business, and one of the independent manufacturers there started a movement called SOPWAMTOS as a reaction against others who just put their name on somebody else's proiducts - Society Of People Who Actually Make Their Own $hit. I think all us bus converters should also be members of it!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote