Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 396 chevy Industrial
convert gas to diesel engine

Hey everyone, been a while since last I was here. Haven't done a thing to my 68 bluebird BUT; I want to convert from gas to diesel engine. Any threads or websites to point me to? I have a 68 rebuilt industrial 396 chevy engine.

thanks,

waterboy

waterboy434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: convert gas to diesel engine

buy a running diesel powered bus for your conversion. you willpobably spend more on an engine and the necesssary parts to do a swap than a running bius will cost,
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

I am with Paul on this one. Having done an engine swaparoo before, into something that was never intended for that power plant was a HUGE PITA.
I am a big proponent of getting the right vehicle, then changing the easy stuff. Then again, if you are really into the looks of the older buses, you are either stuck with the existing piece, or you can gut it, and put in a 5.9, which are as common as dirt anymore. Just about every junkyard will have one, or more, it seems. Then you start by figuring out where to weld in some custom engine mounts, getting all new lines, the piping, the cooling, whew, it adds up. Let us not forget the nervous system either, the WIRING. Oh man, how many beers have I killed with a pile of wires at my feet, by a wood fire. Beer in one hand, two manuals in the other, wires around my neck, and a labeler... somewhere in that mess.

Not going that way this time. Just getting what I want. Then, gravy.

So, in short, no easy swap on that beast. I wonder how far off the 396 is from say, a 6.5 liter chevy. Ugh, that engine is a dog too. Never mind. And getting harder to find parts for.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Talk to the local shops and see what they want to do the hard work. I have a feeling that the time it takes to get the job done by yourself, you could have paid a shop to do it, get it back, and be working on the insides in a quarter of the time. Cost of everything you would need to do it yourself vs a shop, probably balances out.

Plus, if something happens, you have someone to scream at. ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote