Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #1

Convert School Bus to Help the Homeless & Poor

My name is Ron Joy.

I am a volunteer at non-profit, volunteer organization Rise Again Outreach, located in the Concord, NH area. Our goal is share God’s love with people who are in crisis or poverty by helping to meet their temporal and spiritual needs.

We operate a clothing and food pantry to help meet the practical daily life needs of families and individuals in the capital area with clothing, food and other necessities donated from the community. We take donations of clothing and food and redistribute them free to those in need. We currently operate the pantry in the basement of a very small church, but we recently purchased a full size bus to create a "mobile pantry" to bring assistance to communities that are struggling. We are hoping to have the mobile pantry ready to roll in late Spring 2008. I attached a photo of the bus.

I have so many questions, I don't know where to start, but here is a couple.

Has anyone every converted a school bus to a mobile clothing and food pantry before?

We have no experience converting a school bus to anything. Are there any good resources available?

Thanks friends.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
TheBusPlanPic.jpg  

Not Bread Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1987
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: Conventional
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Convert School Bus to Help the Homeless & Poor

Agreed after countless hours of research for bus conversion sites, once i found this one i haven't left. what do you have questions about what kind of layout are you thinking about?
bigballsbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I don't think I've seen anyone doing quite what you are planning on doing, but what you have in mind sounds a lot simpler than converting one of these buses into Motor Homes or rolling party buses...

Aside from lots of shelving and enough lighting to see what your doing...perhaps install a lavatory for use by workers, and a generator for power when stopped... Actually, you'd probably have been better off looking around publicsurplus.com for a bookmobile type of bus, would already have most of what you need done!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #4

Thanks to those who responded.
We are meeting the day after tomorrow to discuss floor plan, etc.
My initial questions have to do with the flooring. Do we need vapor barrier and insulation? What are options for flooring?
Not Bread Alone is offline   Reply With Quote