Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2022, 09:55 PM   #1

Converting windows to concession/merchandising window

Hi all,

I am in the process of converting a 2002 53 passenger International bus into a mobile headquarters for a non-profit that is working to reduce gun violence in schools, hence the bus as a platform.

As part of their work they will be attending some rallies and want to sell some merchandise. We have planned to use 3-4 of the windows joined together with a welded frame that will tip out and become an awning/cover over the window. I am looking for any and all advice on how to best approach this. Thinking that I will cut the hat channels between the windows, weld a frame around the windows to get them to function as a single piece and then find a way to seal, secure and latch the fold down window. Will add some gas struts to help with the weight and to hold it open.

Would love any pointers/tips, any videos or photos of anything similar.

The end goal is to retain as much of the school bus look and feel as possible so being able to reuse the existing windows would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

TandemVans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:42 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
I'd guess the hat channels will need to be reinforced around the new window frame. I've seen that done with additional C channel or square stock.
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:50 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
tandem

look at "food service windows" I think you might some off the shelf stuff available.

you know, stuff for food trucks.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:03 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90

We moved two of the fold out e-windows together. One from each side. You could cut out the center rib and fab an aluminum replacement. Then join it to one frame, like French doors.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:08 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post

We moved two of the fold out e-windows together. One from each side. You could cut out the center rib and fab an aluminum replacement. Then join it to one frame, like French doors.
Were your emergency windows built to open sideways like that, or did you fab them somehow?

I wanted to bunch all of mine together in one spot but unfortunately on my style of bus the e-windows don't fit in a regular window opening because of the outer trim. Never seen this problem on any other kind of bus.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:53 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Were your emergency windows built to open sideways like that, or did you fab them somehow?

I wanted to bunch all of mine together in one spot but unfortunately on my style of bus the e-windows don't fit in a regular window opening because of the outer trim. Never seen this problem on any other kind of bus.

The six e-windows are stock.
All of our pax windows are the same height & width. The drivers window is a tall one. 30", same as the pax windows..

When we removed, re-butyled & re-seal them, we rearranged several of them
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:53 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
look at "food service windows" I think you might some off the shelf stuff available.

you know, stuff for food trucks.

william
Like he said, probably your best bet for foor truck windows.

have you checked out amazon ?

https://www.amazon.com/concession-wi...for+food+truck
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:35 AM   #8

thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I looked at Food Concession windows but they are not the right dimensions and lose the look of the school bus in a way. Might end up going this way, but hoping to find a way to make the existing windows work. Ill post some photos of what I end up doing.

Thanks again
TandemVans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:45 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
The six e-windows are stock.
All of our pax windows are the same height & width. The drivers window is a tall one. 30", same as the pax windows..
Hmm, I think your sideways-opening e-windows would fit in my regular window openings. I should look for some of those.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:50 AM   #10
Bus Geek

OP, this sounds like a very cool and doable project. My big concern would be that to do this, the hinge would have to be above the rain gutter at the top (since that's where the "beam" that runs along the top of the windows is) so you'll have issues with making the hinge watertight. You'll probably have to fab an additional rain gutter or awning thing to cover it.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Rather than look at this as a cut and hinge job, it needs to be looked at as a major structural change. Those ribs between the window channels also support the bus roof. You will want to build a box frame for the bus roof where the hat channels were, then a separate frame for the door.

Set the boxed in area into the bus, so that when the door is shut it comes right to the inside part of the other windows. This will allow the existing windows to be attached to the door frame and they will line up with the rest of the windows. This will also put the hinge under the roofline when the door is closed. A rubber weatherstrip over the hinge will also keep it dry, although a weatherstrip between the door and frame will also keep it dry inside.

If this spans 4 windows, put a middle support in. This will give the door a backing plate to set against, and you can use the center support as a means to lock the door in place. 3 or 4 locking points will make it quite secure, and help keep it from leaking. The middle support will also help keep the roof from bowing the frame in. The center support also will not affect the intended usage of the opening.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
unless you specifically need a large single opening.. you could just install emergency windows in a row and make a support that would latch in and hold them open.. emergency bus windows can be opened like awnings (hinged at top)..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote