Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2022, 07:59 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Cooant resivoir tank overflowing

I went out to do the monthly start on my bus today, I ran it for maybe 15 minutes and after I shut it off I noticed the coolant reservoir tank was full and started to leak out the cap hole. The engine didn't get up to full temperature so it wasn't too hot, the reservoir tank was always a little too full like maybe half to 2/3 at most but definitely not overflowing. Any ideas what it could be other than a head gasket issue?

Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
most of these busses dont have overflow recovery bottles that can push out and suck back in coolant.. if the system gets filled a little full.. natural expansion will push out coolant when the engine warms up.. the condition is exacerbated when the heater valves are open as there is more coolant expanding into the same expansion space..

I added a recovery bottle to my DEV bus for this reason.. it was always seemingly a little low on coolant as I have lots of heaters.. so now it pushes ut and sucks back in coolant like a car... runs a little cooler in summer and I have zero air issues in my heater loops now
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote