Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coolant questions

93 international bb

We lost about 5 gallons of green coolant when removing the heaters, so we went to orielys to get more coolant. We grabbed 3 gallons of orielys brand pure anti-freeze, which we are supposed to dilute 50/50 with water.

But after reading the bus operators manual, it says "always use international or fleetrite type of coolant".

Should we take the orielys coolant back and look for international or fleetrite brand of coolant?

Also I don't really understand "SCA". Why do they call it an additive if it's actually required?

Would it be more wise to get a new coolant filter charged with SCAs? or should we get some SCAs and add it to the coolant? Or are SCAs not a big deal?

Thanks for any help yall

Kandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Something that old probably used regular green from the factory, they just want you to use good quality stuff which is the reason for the sticker.

Coolant - It consists of antifreeze (usually ethylene glycol) and an additive package that prevents corrosion, cavitation, and maintains a normal ph level.

With that said, additives are a huge deal.

The additive package can change between coolants. It wears out overtime which requires it's level to be monitored. The level can be maintained either by an sca charged coolant filter, or you can by it in liquid form by the bottle.

Top off the system, use a test strip to check ph, freezepoint and additive levels, and adjust it from there.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I would stick with conventional green.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Something that old probably used regular green from the factory, they just want you to use good quality stuff which is the reason for the sticker.

Coolant - It consists of antifreeze (usually ethylene glycol) and an additive package that prevents corrosion, cavitation, and maintains a normal ph level.

With that said, additives are a huge deal.

The additive package can change between coolants. It wears out overtime which requires it's level to be monitored. The level can be maintained either by an sca charged coolant filter, or you can by it in liquid form by the bottle.

Top off the system, use a test strip to check ph, freezepoint and additive levels, and adjust it from there.
What type of additive should we get? Is there a good/cheap brand or anything to watch out for?

And is the orielys brand of coolant acceptable?

Seems like an sca charged filter would be a little more simple, I think we will go with the charged filter method
Old 06-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Idk about the oreilly brand coolant. Most of your regular green stuff from the parts store is sufficient.

This is the additive I use. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL4056

If you have a coolant filter already installed, then use it. I'd still check it with a test strip though to confirm.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Idk about the oreilly brand coolant. Most of your regular green stuff from the parts store is sufficient.

This is the additive I use. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL4056

If you have a coolant filter already installed, then use it. I'd still check it with a test strip though to confirm.
Idk why, but I assumed we would have to replace the coolant filter when replacing the coolant. But if we dont have to replace it, that would save alot of time and a little money!
Old 06-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
Bus Geek

It is a maintenance item. Wouldn't hurt to change it unless you know the last time that it was.

Are you sure you even have a coolant filter? Many busses don't.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
It is a maintenance item. Wouldn't hurt to change it unless you know the last time that it was.

Are you sure you even have a coolant filter? Many busses don't.
Ill take a look at the maintenance records.

Pretty sure we have a coolant filter. One of the filters under the hood says "Napa coolant filter". I can't imagine that would be anything else, but you never know lol.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:12 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Coolant choice is determined by whether your engine has wet or dry cylinder liners. If dry liners, any coolant (within reason) will work, but if wet liners you MUST use coolant formulated for such engines, primarily to reduce cavitation erosion. The wrong coolant will eventually kill the engine. And buy some test strips to know what condition it's in, or send a sample to be tested at a lab. If your coolant filter hasn't been changed recently, that's something else to check into.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #10
Bus Nut

The main reason they spec IH coolant is to sell IH coolant. The additives can be checked and adjusted using test strips. Heck I'll be using super tech undiluted green coolant.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote