Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: Cummins 8.3
Covering up windows, metal recommendations

I am currently removing and covering up old windows. I was opting towards 20 gauge, as many people on this forum claim to have had good success with 20 of 18 gauge steel. However, I was talking with a friend who has done skoolie conversions, and he said I need to use 14 gauge steel.

I was curious everyone’s recommendations, and experiences using whatever gauge steel for the windows. Some more information, I am only covering up one window at a time, so the sheets I cut will only be one window large, as compared to when people cover 3 windows or so at a time. As well, I live in an area where it is both wet and cold, if you feel like the climate impacts the choice at all.

Thanks for all your help.

WanderingForest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I just documented mine last night.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/b...tml#post477275

I think 20g is too thin and 14g and 16g are too thick to bend. Maybe if you had a bigger brake, but my brakes limit was 20g and i had to fight it and move it to each side to bend my sides up.

After putting mine in, they are plenty rigid. Make sure you fold the sides up. I could have done 8 windows out of 1 5x10 sheet.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote