Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 02:53 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
What are your rpm at 110 km? If it’s at or near 2600 then you are out of gears otherwise you need an rp1210 like a nexiq clone and then you download the free servicemaxx j1708 software

Pretty much all the 3900s from late 2000 on got the 9 pin connector as the allison 2000 series transmissions talk J1939 to the ECM.

The diag port to laptop for bluefire, servicemaxx etc will use the j1708 protocol and your trans to engine data is on j1939

The pin out is not OeM it is industry standard , the 9 pin has noth 1708 and 1939 data available. So you can use any tool to read base parameters that supports 1708. The bluefire 9 pin works and then in its software you enable 1708 mode. Bluefire is read only it doesn’t make changes

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:27 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeii View Post
It's got air brakes and air suspension with 130000 km (~80000 miles) on the odometer. If anyone can chime in as to the quickest/cheapest way to check the true odometer reading off the diagnostic port that would be very helpful. I have the 9 pin data link - so I am assuming it's using SAE J1939 for communication? I'm a bit confused here as from what I've read they didn't start putting the 9 pins until a few years after I also noticed the H and J pin locations are labelled but no pins inside and after reading the pin designations those pins are OEM defined so I guess they decided to not use those pins? Another thing I noticed while driving was that it seemed to have a speed limiter at around 110 km/h (68mph). Might have to disable that for maximum fun! It also struggled a bit going uphill but I will have to do more testing there.
A BlueFire is a gadget that plugs into your data port and broadcasts on bluetooth to an Android or iOS device (or Windows, I guess). You can get your true mileage this way and also set up a digital dashboard. If you buy direct from the bluefire site (https://bluefire-llc.com/store/9-pin...j1708-adapters) use the code AMAZON for 15% off or something like that (not sure if that code still works, though).

Your 68 mph might be because of a low (numerically high) rear gear ratio rather than a governor. My bus (also a 2003 with DT466e and Allison 2000-series) has a 6.17 rear gearing and 67 mph is as fast as it goes with the RPMs maxed out. If so, the only practical thing you can do to go faster is swap out the rear gearing.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Let’s wait for BeNimble to jump in on this one! He may say something crazy like go buy a tractor for the job or something like that! Crazy, right?! $hit, I have to say, he ain’t crazy at all…
BeNimble would build a DIY snow plow..here is my 85 Ford Range 4x4 that I was building into a tractor thingy. It is run backwards, rear steer, front is the fixed rear axle. You can see I shortened the frame, the shortened rear section was used for the boom mount (see it behind the engine).
Like many projects the reason for needing it changed before it was finished and I just sold it for the engine. I posted this reply because I noticed I had a pic of it today when looking for another pic. btw, I bought this truck for $50 and sold it for $200, and used the bed for a small trailer which I still have.
Attached Thumbnails
ranger.png  
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
BeNimble would build a DIY snow plow..here is my 85 Ford Range 4x4 that I was building into a tractor thingy. It is run backwards, rear steer, front is the fixed rear axle. You can see I shortened the frame, the shortened rear section was used for the boom mount (see it behind the engine).
Like many projects the reason for needing it changed before it was finished and I just sold it for the engine. I posted this reply because I noticed I had a pic of it today when looking for another pic. btw, I bought this truck for $50 and sold it for $200, and used the bed for a small trailer which I still have.
I had a '58 Dodge with a plow mounted on it. Didn't know the original builder, he left it with a house he sold, and I picked it up helping the new owners move in. Never really needed to use it because I moved to California shortly thereafter. Cool rig. Gave it to a friend who used it as a dedicated snowplow for one of his properties. Love them funky setups.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
School buses typically see 10k miles a year, your seems to be about 100K short of average. You are either very lucky, or your bus has had a speedo replacement that is very common.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
What are your rpm at 110 km? If it’s at or near 2600 then you are out of gears otherwise you need an rp1210 like a nexiq clone and then you download the free servicemaxx j1708 software

Pretty much all the 3900s from late 2000 on got the 9 pin connector as the allison 2000 series transmissions talk J1939 to the ECM.

The diag port to laptop for bluefire, servicemaxx etc will use the j1708 protocol and your trans to engine data is on j1939

The pin out is not OeM it is industry standard , the 9 pin has noth 1708 and 1939 data available. So you can use any tool to read base parameters that supports 1708. The bluefire 9 pin works and then in its software you enable 1708 mode. Bluefire is read only it doesn’t make changes
Thanks for the explanation. Do either servicemaxx or bluefire also read the engine serial number? I am trying to determine the HP/Torque but both the labels are disintegrated - the one on the valve cover and the one above the oil cooler on the right hand side. Is there another way to find the serial number and determine the engine power ratings?
zeeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
A BlueFire is a gadget that plugs into your data port and broadcasts on bluetooth to an Android or iOS device (or Windows, I guess). You can get your true mileage this way and also set up a digital dashboard. If you buy direct from the bluefire site (https://bluefire-llc.com/store/9-pin...j1708-adapters) use the code AMAZON for 15% off or something like that (not sure if that code still works, though).

Your 68 mph might be because of a low (numerically high) rear gear ratio rather than a governor. My bus (also a 2003 with DT466e and Allison 2000-series) has a 6.17 rear gearing and 67 mph is as fast as it goes with the RPMs maxed out. If so, the only practical thing you can do to go faster is swap out the rear gearing.
Thanks for the link and the code. I think it's likely the rear gearing that's restricting me. I didn't pay too much attention to the rpm. Once I get it registered as a motorhome, I plan to take it out again and will report back with the rpm number.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
School buses typically see 10k miles a year, your seems to be about 100K short of average. You are either very lucky, or your bus has had a speedo replacement that is very common.
I hope it's the former! But more than likely the speedo had a replacement done. I plan to confirm it using one of the data readers.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #29
Skoolie

Here is a pic of one of our loaders built on a shortened truck frame. Pretty handy machine. Its got a Cat diesel with an Allison trans behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
truck loader.jpg   truck loader at work 1.jpg   truck loader at work 2.JPG  
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #30
Skoolie

Probably be cheaper to go rent one and it would be a lot more maneuverable.
shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:46 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
I would need...
Engineering required...
Manoeuvring...
I cannot fathom in my wildest...
[has no idea how to say this nicely]
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Cut off Short Bus

Here is a picture of our cut-off bus
Attached Thumbnails
20180714_101433.jpg  
nevittja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevittja View Post
Here is a picture of our cut-off bus
Thanks for the pic! I looked through your profile to see a build thread but it looks like you bought the bus this way. Is the end cap welded on or put on by screws on your bus?
Old 08-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Yes we built the bus but the back was cut and welded. We took it from there. Put the flat bed on and did the inside.
nevittja is offline   Reply With Quote