Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Says they've already delivered at least 100 units.
maybe I misread - I thought the units delivered had less range

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I think electrical supplement drives could be practical DIY, but still questionable in terms of cost and likely requires custom fabrication/etc that just isn't generally available. I can totally see someone charging batteries by braking action and assisting the diesel motor in acceleration from low speed.

Beyond that, battery tech just isn't there yet. We need at least 10x current density with 1/10th the weight and then 1/100th the cost on top of that to be practical.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Excuse me for asking the obvious question, but exactly why do you want to do this? Do you just not like diesel engines, or what? (If you cannot appreciate the engineering and visceral aesthetics of a 2-stroke Detroit, then maybe a Crown is not the best choice of bus for you!) Why would you want to massacre a big heavy over-built Crown instead of something smaller and lighter? I could ask many more questions, but I'll control myself.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
My suspicion is that it's the proposition of an improbable, utterly hypothetical scenario intended to incite lively debate, intellectual discourse, and the forwarding of sundry quack theories.
Why not? Last I checked the time, it's still Sundry night...
Old 06-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

You need to do a little more research about Tesla Motors.
prorallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
The motors and batteries should be the easy part, but for me the electronics would be a major learning curve. What kind of range are you hoping for?

I have thought of just using one motor and putting it on the driveshaft for braking( and regen), and for a boost on grades, otherwise the bus engine would do it normal thing. Kind of a hybrid thing.
I am hoping 600+ miles range and I want to use 2 Tesla Model S motors.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Excuse me for asking the obvious question, but exactly why do you want to do this? Do you just not like diesel engines, or what? (If you cannot appreciate the engineering and visceral aesthetics of a 2-stroke Detroit, then maybe a Crown is not the best choice of bus for you!) Why would you want to massacre a big heavy over-built Crown instead of something smaller and lighter? I could ask many more questions, but I'll control myself.

John
Ask as many as you want you don't need to control. I just want better acceleration, torque and using the best technology in the world. Why Not? I just want to combine a beautiful crown with the latest technology very easy to understand.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Are you an engineer and fabricator? Also wealthy? If so this may be your swap.

Does it matter? I am asking a very specific question.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You did not state wether you want to add Tesla motors and batteries or replace the engine with a totally electric drivetrain?
YES, I want to use only Tesla Technology and totally electric.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I am assuming he must have real skills, or at least someone to help who does, I hope. yea money helps to. Have no idea what Tesla batteries go for let alone the motors. For me a dream idea.

My bus did much better pulling a trailer in the mountains then I expected, so pleased about that. But if lots of money falls out of the sky.... the hybrid idea is there....
I have the capital to do it and I am seeking advice from experienced people and also people who can add value to my project.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prorallydriver View Post
YES, I want to use only Tesla Technology and totally electric.

Why do you want ONLY Tesla? Why wouldn’t you consider other brands?
JoeNesquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I have the capital to do it and I am seeking advice from experienced people and also people who can add value to my project.

So, bill gates, what made you want to convert a bus?
JoeNesquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
Yes, but cost around $1 Million
Old 06-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Yes they do, but they can not maintain that power level without overheating, if you read tests of tesla's at tracks, they tend to overheat and shutdown. It takes about 12 HP to keep a car moving at 60 MPH, for a bus it is more like 60 HP for that speed, meaning the motor needs 6 times the cooling, which the tesla motors don't have the capability to do. There are companies making electric trucks and buses, those are the motors you need
Not anymore. That changed a long time ago.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:54 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
50 years from now when internal combustion engines are a thing of the past, there will be tons of surplus bus batteries and motors to pick from in salvage yards across the country.
But today is not 50 years in the future so all of the engineering, research, trial fitments are only just beginning for commercial sized vehicles.

Right now, unless you are Soros rich, converting an existing bus to full on electric is pie in the sky, but we'll all be watching you to see how far you chase your dream.
GOOD LUCK!!!, seriously...
I have an advice. Seriously you need to do a little bit more research. Check prices of Tesla Batteries and Tesla Motors ok?
Old 06-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I think it said it wasn't in production yet - I thought it was interesting that that sort of range was even possible - it's what we are going to see on the roads in the not too distant future - a related item came up in my search that claimed electric cars will soon be cheaper to buy than gas fired cars in the near future - I don't doubt it
You get it, my friend!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:57 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNesquik View Post
Why do you want ONLY Tesla? Why wouldn’t you consider other brands?
Why not? Tesla is the best electric car company in the world period! Its 5 years ahead of everybody.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Well, no, actually. You are the one needing to do more research!
You started this thread soliciting inputs. You got some.
But you can't seriously expect anyone else to do your homework for you; expending considerable effort performing in-depth research and analysis, to support your underlying thought, the proposition that might make this arcane hobby horse of your rock at a cost/benefit that isn't four or five orders of magnitude into crazy-expensive.
You say you have the wherewithal to make it happen, kudos! Then what's stopping you from buying a couple of MIT post-docs to crunch the numbers for you? Instead of berating us here in Physics for Dummies-land for our lack of desire to not further waste time on a project that is of no conceivable benefit to any regular member of this forum.
After you're done throwing all those piles of money at the problem, why don't you then come back, and altruistically crow about how it may be done?
Quote:
You need to do a little more research about Tesla Motors.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:13 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Well, no, actually. You are the one needing to do more research!
You started this thread soliciting inputs. You got some.
But you can't seriously expect anyone else to do your homework for you; expending considerable effort performing in-depth research and analysis, to support your underlying thought, the proposition that might make this arcane hobby horse of your rock at a cost/benefit that isn't four or five orders of magnitude into crazy-expensive.
You say you have the wherewithal to make it happen, kudos! Then what's stopping you from buying a couple of MIT post-docs to crunch the numbers for you? Instead of berating us here in Physics for Dummies-land for our lack of desire to not further waste time on a project that is of no conceivable benefit to any regular member of this forum.
After you're done throwing all those piles of money at the problem, why don't you then come back, and altruistically crow about how it may be done?
My goodness, go have some fun or something buddy and stop hating. Read my question at least 3 times and come back and answer it if you have the answer. Very funny and hateful comment .... Just read my question and have a good night. Drink a beer.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
There's obviously not a lot of electric vehicle fans here. I would suggest seeking EV forums for many of your answers. While it won't be cheap, I think it's doable. I've built some crazy things in my life because someone said it couldn't be done, or why. I say why not.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown, crown bus conversion, electric, tesla batteries