Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
There's obviously not a lot of electric vehicle fans here. I would suggest seeking EV forums for many of your answers. While it won't be cheap, I think it's doable. I've built some crazy things in my life because someone said it couldn't be done, or why. I say why not.
Yes sir!, I can see that. But not because you are not a fan of something you have to hate on others ideas or comments is just insane and ridiculous. I just wanted to know the experience of people who converted a bus into electric and I wanted to know their experience etc.

I am going to do it anyways no matter what. I love crowns and I would love to see that technology into one of them. I'll keep you updated and thanks for the advice.

prorallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Well, no, actually. You are the one needing to do more research!
You started this thread soliciting inputs. You got some.
But you can't seriously expect anyone else to do your homework for you; expending considerable effort performing in-depth research and analysis, to support your underlying thought, the proposition that might make this arcane hobby horse of your rock at a cost/benefit that isn't four or five orders of magnitude into crazy-expensive.
You say you have the wherewithal to make it happen, kudos! Then what's stopping you from buying a couple of MIT post-docs to crunch the numbers for you? Instead of berating us here in Physics for Dummies-land for our lack of desire to not further waste time on a project that is of no conceivable benefit to any regular member of this forum.
After you're done throwing all those piles of money at the problem, why don't you then come back, and altruistically crow about how it may be done?
I think we could all learn from this project - I have no where near the capital to do a conversion like is being proposed, but learning doesn't cost extra - even the airlines don't charge extra because you know about something - lol - maybe I can swap some dog stories and a few tips on painting if it ever gets to that point in exchange for knowledge that l may or may not ever need - I may be too old and creaky to win any of the big races now, l'll never be named to Team Canada again, but learning is still fun
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
As much as I love the smell and sound of diesels, I feel like the engineering to evolve towards something less polluting is necessary and should be welcomed.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:51 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
As much as I love the smell and sound of diesels, I feel like the engineering to evolve towards something less polluting is necessary and should be welcomed.
and this might be a great forum to come up with ideas that are efficient and of value
Old 06-16-2019, 11:53 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
Excellent, I love racing cars, diesel trucks and you name it. But, I am seeking to combine classic beautiful buses with the best EV technology which is Tesla and create a less polluting mass transit vehicle.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prorallydriver View Post
Excellent, I love racing cars, diesel trucks and you name it. But, I am seeking to combine classic beautiful buses with the best EV technology which is Tesla and create a less polluting mass transit vehicle.

sounds good to me
Old 06-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Does it matter? I am asking a very specific question.
You're asking about a serious fabrication/custom project. Of course it matters.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:45 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Yes sir!, I can see that. But not because you are not a fan of something you have to hate on others ideas or comments is just insane and ridiculous. I just wanted to know the experience of people who converted a bus into electric and I wanted to know their experience etc.

I am going to do it anyways no matter what. I love crowns and I would love to see that technology into one of them. I'll keep you updated and thanks for the advice.
No one's hating. We're just realistic and actually have buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:59 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Solectria did some Chevy pickup S10 electric conversion around 1995. They used two Ac motors belt driven to the differential. They also did some panel vans for in the city. This was in the long gone lead acid battery days.

We drive solectria cars with retrofitted lithium batteries from Nissan leaf and Chevy volt. The biggest problem for us was the BMS system.

Tesla uses a lot of small cells. My first step would be to see if the Tesla BMS is open and usable for the hobby people.

Cool project. Good luck

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:43 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Solectria did some Chevy pickup S10 electric conversion around 1995. They used two Ac motors belt driven to the differential. They also did some panel vans for in the city. This was in the long gone lead acid battery days.

We drive solectria cars with retrofitted lithium batteries from Nissan leaf and Chevy volt. The biggest problem for us was the BMS system.

Tesla uses a lot of small cells. My first step would be to see if the Tesla BMS is open and usable for the hobby people.

Cool project. Good luck

Johan
A friend of mine who owns several Tesla's, has mentioned to me that someone has already gotten into the computer system and figured out how to work with it. This was done using two wrecked Tesla's and putting together one running one. I do believe this guy is making his info available, Tesla of course is not, or at least not that I am aware of.

Prorallydriver not sure if you know about this or not, but can find out more if you need, may well be on the internet somewhere too.

As far as Tesla's overheating I remember one episode of Top Gear they tested one, and it did overheat. However it was the batteries not the motors if I remember right.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:51 AM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/04/...bus-delivered/

Doable already in Toronto at the TTC
badmaners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Prorallydriver, I drive an electric car most of the time, an E-Golf, could not afford a tesla, model S motors will not work, you will need the motors tesla is putting in their semi tractor and you need to look up the company that is converting city buses to electric, 150 mile range and they only cost 400,000 when you supply the old bus. The big question is where are you going to charge this beast with its several hundreds of kilowatts of batteries
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You're asking about a serious fabrication/custom project. Of course it matters.
It matters to you I can see. But, did you see my question?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No one's hating. We're just realistic and actually have buses.

Exactly! Again.... Have you read my question?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post

Cool project. Good luck

Johan
Thank you for the information, Johan. I don't think the Tesla BMS is open for a hobbyist I've seen a ton of videos. Why the problem was the BMS system for you guys?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
A friend of mine who owns several Tesla's, has mentioned to me that someone has already gotten into the computer system and figured out how to work with it. This was done using two wrecked Tesla's and putting together one running one. I do believe this guy is making his info available, Tesla of course is not, or at least not that I am aware of.

Prorallydriver not sure if you know about this or not, but can find out more if you need, may well be on the internet somewhere too.

As far as Tesla's overheating I remember one episode of Top Gear they tested one, and it did overheat. However it was the batteries not the motors if I remember right.
Yes, there are tons of information out there. The problem is that I haven't seen anyone applying the Tesla Technology into a bus yet or I am not aware of it yet. Yes, Top Gear tested the car but it was in extreme racing conditions and on a track and it was 2 or 3 years ago. Now is different and they even have Track Mode.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaners View Post
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/04/...bus-delivered/

Doable already in Toronto at the TTC
Yes, I've seen those. That's amazing! just imagine no crazy sounds in the city.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Prorallydriver, I drive an electric car most of the time, an E-Golf, could not afford a tesla, model S motors will not work, you will need the motors tesla is putting in their semi tractor and you need to look up the company that is converting city buses to electric, 150 mile range and they only cost 400,000 when you supply the old bus. The big question is where are you going to charge this beast with its several hundreds of kilowatts of batteries
I think is doable a Tesla motor has 750 HP and I am planning to put 2. One in the front and one in the back but I see your point.

Yes, that is the big question. Because they won't let you use the Supercharger network if not a Tesla.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Because they won't let you use the Supercharger network if not a Tesla.
So go buy 2 brand new tesla's of whatever flavor you choose. "Harvest" all applicable componentry that you'll need to attach to your bus.
That way you'll have the VIN'S to get factory support for your efforts?

Otherwise develop your own EV drivetrain based on a copy of tesla.

What are the other EV manufacturers using for real world recharging stations?
(assuming that is your issue?)
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #60
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
I do nothave an opinion about your project it is your time and your money so rock on. As a question though, how do you plan to charge it?
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown, crown bus conversion, electric, tesla batteries