Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 crown View Post
I believe my crown roof raise of 13" was successful. I cut cent of the windows and ad I believe 1" or 1 1/8 heave wall sq. tubing right inside the stamped steel bars going up to the roof.
Initially, I was thinking about doing what Boogiethecat (BCM) did and raise the whole top 12" but did not like the brow look (although not as bad since it is only 1 foot). I then considered a hybrid of what he did with a top transition behind the drivers seat. However, doing a transition also changes the look and appears to involve a lot more braces and welds.

After looking at your pics, the raise is not as noticeable compared to the other methods which is preferable. I may do what you did and put the spread in the windshield. Your Crown is much older than mine so I don't know if there are any other gotcha's? Where did you make your cuts?

GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Not sure if this option would be easier or not. You could start the lift at the floor level to keep from the sides narrowing down too much towards head height. The link below is factory from Crown, but still has a cool look.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater[IMG]
randallg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1954
Coachwork: crown
Engine: 220 cummins turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
The link you referenced is a 1 foot raise according to what he (Boogiethecat) said. I don't know if that was approximate or exactly 12 inches? You mentioned yours is 13 inches. Is there a reason you did 13 and not 12? According to this guy the body rivets line up with a 1 foot raise making it look almost original.
I don't remember why I went 13"
I bet I was going 14" and got scared at 13"
35 ft. piece of roof top swaying in the wind..
50 crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1954
Coachwork: crown
Engine: 220 cummins turbo
Quote:
Initially, I was thinking about doing what Boogiethecat (BCM) did and raise the whole top 12" but did not like the brow look (although not as bad since it is only 1 foot). I then considered a hybrid of what he did with a top transition behind the drivers seat. However, doing a transition also changes the look and appears to involve a lot more braces and welds.

After looking at your pics, the raise is not as noticeable compared to the other methods which is preferable. I may do what you did and put the spread in the windshield. Your Crown is much older than mine so I don't know if there are any other gotcha's? Where did you make your cuts?
I went centered window openings.
50 crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 crown View Post
I went centered window openings.

Did you also make cuts in the center of the windshield posts? It is not clear from the pics where the 13" raise is in the front.

This guy (Boogiethecat) made his cuts above the windshield (see link below) and the pic reveals somewhat of a forehead look which I would like to avoid.

http://www.heartmagic.com/zzjunebus/busfront.JPG
Old 02-24-2019, 11:11 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Did you also make cuts in the center of the windshield posts? It is not clear from the pics where the 13" raise is in the front.

This guy (Boogiethecat) made his cuts above the windshield (see link below) and the pic reveals somewhat of a forehead look which I would like to avoid.

http://www.heartmagic.com/zzjunebus/busfront.JPG
You want a receding hairline.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallg30 View Post
Not sure if this option would be easier or not. You could start the lift at the floor level to keep from the sides narrowing down too much towards head height. The link below is factory from Crown, but still has a cool look.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater[IMG]
It looks to be a lot more work raising from the floor level. Just the actual lifting of the top and sides together would require some specialized lifting equipment (that I don't have) and shop space because of the weight and size.

I am looking at 12" max raise which should not cause to much of an issue with respect to the sides narrowing. At least not from what I have seen from those that have raised theirs.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Hmm, good point. Either way it will be an adventure. Good luck with the raise and conversion. I’m still trying to find mine to convert. Glad to see a Crown in the Midwest, make sure to document everything!
randallg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallg30 View Post
Hmm, good point. Either way it will be an adventure. Good luck with the raise and conversion. I’m still trying to find mine to convert. Glad to see a Crown in the Midwest, make sure to document everything!
Thanks! Yes, it is definitely been an adventure so far. There appears to be a lot more work doing a Crown than it would be a Thomas or Bluebird. For example, there must two or three times as many rivets to remove versus some others.

I am at the point where I need to decide where to cut for the raise. I like the look and build quality of the Crown, so I am trying to balance that in with the raise. So far I am leaning with what "50 Crown" did with his. He appears to have made cuts to the Front windshield posts and added 13" to those? However, I cannot tell how tall his windshield is from his pic but I would have to guess around 40+ inches?

I have not seen any Crowns in my area at all but there is another member on this forum not to far away in Missouri.

I am taking pics as I go but no video footage. I am not retired yet and work full time, so I work on it when I can.

Good luck in your search and take your time. It took me 6 months and I had two other deals fall through (Thomas and another Crown).
Old 02-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #30
Skoolie

I was looking at pics today of the front of my Crown to decide if I want to make cuts to the window posts or above the window. I thought I would do something similar to "50 Crown" but noticed that his 54 Crown's original windshield appears much shorter vertically than my 1990 Crown. If I add 12" vertically to my windshield it may look weird. My other alternative would be to split the difference by adding 6" to the windshield and 6" of metal to the bottom of the windshield. This would essentially move the windshield up 6" from where it is now. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 02-27-2019, 09:44 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Saw this interesting aero transition:
Attached Thumbnails
aero roof.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #32

Don't do it to this bus it's round and cool AF. do it to a modern square bus.
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Don't do it to this bus it's round and cool AF. do it to a modern square bus.
Unless someone wants to buy it for like 40k (intentionally grossly inflated) to join the many private mobile museums out there, it will be getting a roof raise and converted as an RV (covered in an earlier post).
Old 02-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #34

Year: 1991
Coachwork: American
Engine: DT 466
The big issue is insurance, when I tried to insure mine the insurance company said they would not insure it if the roof was raised, they claimed it changed the roll over risk.
chevy2wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Saw this interesting aero transition:

Add some wings and see if it will fly
Old 02-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I did mine this way
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0216.jpg  
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #37
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2wes View Post
The big issue is insurance, when I tried to insure mine the insurance company said they would not insure it if the roof was raised, they claimed it changed the roll over risk.
The things they will come up with to deny coverage. Been down that road before. A raised roof is still by far safer than any sticks-n-staples RV (unless a total hack job).

There are many out there that have been raised and have insurance on them. Time to find another agent.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #38
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I did mine this way

The cuts look to be about the same as what I am planning with the exception of the roof transition (still not sure about that).

I pondered a raise with a roof transition but just above the window that is to the right of the drivers window. Is there a reason why you chose to cut the roof in that particular location?

Btw, My Crown is also a number 14
Old 03-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
The cuts look to be about the same as what I am planning with the exception of the roof transition (still not sure about that).

I pondered a raise with a roof transition but just above the window that is to the right of the drivers window. Is there a reason why you chose to cut the roof in that particular location?

Btw, My Crown is also a number 14
My plan was to have a big enough drivers area where the driver & passenger seat could swivel & put a removable table in-between, Plus I put a wall in with a solid core door for entry into the cabin.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #40
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
My plan was to have a big enough drivers area where the driver & passenger seat could swivel & put a removable table in-between, Plus I put a wall in with a solid core door for entry into the cabin.

Do you have any more pics of your raise? Also, how did you handle the gap that runs along each side of the Bus which is for the window dry wall construction?