Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Man, those curtains look fantastic. Do you have any more pics of your process for making and installing those? I want to do exactly the same thing while thinking and stressing as little as possible.
No MG, I don’t have anymore pics of the process. The fabric looked good on both sides. We thought we needed it so the curtains wouldn’t look ugly from the outside. Turned out the windows are tinted enough that you really don’t see them in the daytime. Only at night when the downlighting under the shelf is on. Making the gems were probably the hardest. The fabric is actually folded over twice so there is not a raw edge anywhere. We would fold it over about a 1/4” to 3/8” and iron it so that it would make a crease and iron it. Then we used “ALEENES”original double stick tape that you have to iron. (Even though my wife had a stroke a few months ago and can’t remember some things, she just reminded me that we did not use glue, we used the iron on double stick tape). So much for my memory. Anyway, you have to make your hems so that your rods will just barely fit so they can’t fall out. If you can see in the pic, there is a 1/2” gap between the curtains and the center post (blue). That’s the EMT one hole strap. Install one strap and then slide one end of the curtain rod in and raise the other end of the curtain rod and attach the the other strap. So that the was not shoved all the way up to the shelf, I used a 1/4 20 nut for a spacer between the strap and the shelf. After taking a second look at the curtains I realized I did not use EMT conduit. I used 1/2” CPVC. Probably because it’s lighter. I hope I don’t sound like a complete idiot trying to explain myself. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
1FE145FD-3BFA-4C6F-B021-0B0D292D6C41.jpg   EB1C06B0-E052-460D-8B3C-DF15A5997FDE.jpg  

Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #22
Skoolie

I did the Curtains on my URV the REALLY CHEAP way.
For curtain rods:
I used CPVC Pipe and 2 90' elbows and 2 "winged" elbows screwed to the wall.

For Curtains: I used the Fabric the windows (were wrapped in) when sent to me.
Just fold over the top and sew to make a pocket for the 1/2 inch pipe.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Sewing curtains is about the easiest sewing chore you can find shourt of reattaching a button.
Straight seams, nothing fancy, and no trying to line up angled or curved pieces to make a shirt.
Pick up a used sewing machine and give it a go.

Fold the top over however much you like for the look and rod you're using.
Fold over the cut edge and sew a straight line through the three layers.
Double fold the edges and sew through all three layers.
Same at the bottom.
You're done!!!!

If budget isn't an issue, pick up those pull down shades....the pleated kind or the roll up type. They work well.
If insulation and blocking light is the goal, used quilted material or that insulated backing mentioned earlier. And yes, if you've still got metal ceiling or walls, magnets work great to close up the gaps and increase the insulation.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
a -- privacy
2003, for our ExpeditionVehicle, I mounted 3612 (a foot tall by three feet wide) dual-pane sliders designed for a stand-still house.
I placed these at our eye-level standing inside, about eight-feet above pavement.
b -- curtain rods
Keeping with our diesel-punk theme, I rubbed MiracleGro crunchy semi-liquid fertilizer at random areas on half-inch copper pipe.
To etch and give the aged patina I crave, I set the pipe on the roof for a couple months.
I cut-to-fit, then stabilized the aging process with rattle-can matte clear varnish... Rustoleum 2X from Jerry's, our local-owned home-improvement center.
I added 'keepers' to each end by sliding a copper 'T' junction onto the dampish varnish.
c -- curtain sizing in lieu of sewing
Hot-glue.
Staples.
I used these two methods for decades.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote