Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Curtains Again

I’m looking at ways to make curtains. I’m not a seamster so I want to keep it simple

saw these, that allow to lower from the top so the window can be opened while still having some privacy.

https://deliberatelifebus.wordpress....urtain-system/

Ideas?

Thanks!

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I plan on buying an used sewing machine. My dad was a sailmaker so maybe it's in my genes
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:06 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We kept it fairly simple too. The shades are fastened to the sill at the bottom and there's a rod pocket in the top that has a tension rod in it. The shades roll down from the top, and we adjust the top of the shade where its comfortable for us. Being able to adjust from the top down is pretty sweet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6643.jpg  
Old 07-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I plan on buying an used sewing machine. My dad was a sailmaker so maybe it's in my genes
Yeah, my mom made a lot of stuff. Maybe cheap imported goods made it less appealing? I picked up a used machine and haven’t used it much, but the other day I set it up to discover it bound up with old lubricant. I eventually got it to go and lay down a seam. Now I just got to finalize the plan and muster some skill
Old 07-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Yeah, my mom made a lot of stuff. Maybe cheap imported goods made it less appealing? I picked up a used machine and haven’t used it much, but the other day I set it up to discover it bound up with old lubricant. I eventually got it to go and lay down a seam. Now I just got to finalize the plan and muster some skill
I think curtains should be at the lower level of skills required. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Go slow...
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
I really like the idea of curtains that open downward (i.e. the same way the windows open). I'm hoping to make some similar to Drew Bru. Maybe your curtains are where I originally got the idea?? I can never remember....

Anyway, what I'd really like to do is get some of the nicer, spring-loaded aluminum-tube roller blinds and disable the clutch mechanism. I think that's what they call the 'catch' part that always catches at the wrong time and causes problems. So I want to permanently break that part so that the blinds always want to roll closed. My plan is to install the blinds upside-down at the bottom of the window so they roll upward. I have a bunch of old aluminum tent poles that I'll thread into the "top" of the blind and that will clip onto the top of the window with those plastic clips that hold your car hood support rod from flopping around while you drive:
Name:  s-l96.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  2.0 KB
I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well, but the idea is that the blinds will open along with the window glass. If you want the glass closed but the blinds open, you pop the tent poles out of the plastic clips and let the roller mechanism roll up the blind.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
I really like the idea of curtains that open downward (i.e. the same way the windows open). I'm hoping to make some similar to Drew Bru. Maybe your curtains are where I originally got the idea?? I can never remember....

Anyway, what I'd really like to do is get some of the nicer, spring-loaded aluminum-tube roller blinds and disable the clutch mechanism. I think that's what they call the 'catch' part that always catches at the wrong time and causes problems. So I want to permanently break that part so that the blinds always want to roll closed. My plan is to install the blinds upside-down at the bottom of the window so they roll upward. I have a bunch of old aluminum tent poles that I'll thread into the "top" of the blind and that will clip onto the top of the window with those plastic clips that hold your car hood support rod from flopping around while you drive:
Attachment 59834
I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well, but the idea is that the blinds will open along with the window glass. If you want the glass closed but the blinds open, you pop the tent poles out of the plastic clips and let the roller mechanism roll up the blind.
That is a super good idea!
Old 07-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I like this idea. Pricey, though - they have made-to-measure roller shades at Lowe's but they're $40 each.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I like this idea. Pricey, though - they have made-to-measure roller shades at Lowe's but they're $40 each.
Holy crap! Never mind then. Normally my wife is the one who brings my pie-in-the-sky ideas back down to earth. She'll be relieved to know that you've squashed this one for her
Old 07-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Holy crap! Never mind then. Normally my wife is the one who brings my pie-in-the-sky ideas back down to earth. She'll be relieved to know that you've squashed this one for her
I dunno, I'm already thinking of ways to DIY something like this. If you have to cut old ones apart to hack the roll-up mechanism, you could probably cut them down yourself to the width you want at the same time. I haven't seen that kind of shade anywhere in years, though - it's all mini-blinds these days.

What we really need in this world is cheap, stick-on self-opaquing liquid crystal sheets!
Old 07-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
What we really need in this world is cheap, stick-on self-opaquing liquid crystal sheets!
Let me know when you have that worked out! You've given me a new idea... why not just have an optometrist make up some prescription Transitions® windows?

Thanks for the reality check - I just had a quick look around the internet and $40 is on the low end for spring roller blinds. Some of the ones with cardboard tubes can be had for cheaper on Amazon, but they don't look well built.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Let me know when you have that worked out!
My dad was a professor at Kent State University in Ohio, and after he retired they gave him an emeritus office in a new building on campus that was part of the Liquid Crystal Institute (a lot of the development of LCDs took place there starting in the '60s). It was amazing, the walls of every office were entirely composed of these glass panels that went from fully transparent to opaque at the flip of a switch.

I was told these things were going to become commonplace in just a few years. They lied!
Old 07-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 2009
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Curtain ideas

My wife bought black out curtains from Costco at a really good price. I bought curtain rails from Amazon at a good price. Attached is a photo of the inside of our newly bought bus. The gray curtains are the Costco brand. My wife bought the sheer curtains on ebay on the cheap. Used expandable rods and used existing screws to mount. Used rubber tubing for couplings to keep in place. We're still in the newbie stage on how we're going to lay everything out.
Attached Thumbnails
20210721_072911_resized.jpg  
Hiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:54 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Magnets. Hem LINED fabric and put rare earth magnets in the hem.
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebapuck View Post
Magnets. Hem LINED fabric and put rare earth magnets in the hem.
Speaking of magnets, did anyone notice in the curtain link the magnetic knife rack on the wall? That's some scary sh*t right there.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:26 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Speaking of magnets, did anyone notice in the curtain link the magnetic knife rack on the wall? That's some scary sh*t right there.
My favorite bus so far was one that had a magnetic knife block directly behind the driver's head and a giant cast-iron skillet hung up right behind the passenger's head. If you're gonna die in a crash, you might as well make it as much like a Looney Tunes as you can.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:17 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I used 1/2” EMT for our curtain rods. Used one hole straps to hold them up. We made the curtains cutting the fabric to a little larger size than the window to have a hem on the edges. No raw edges. We then used fabric glue to make the hems and made a hem on the bottom so that 3/8” all thread rod would fit in the hem. I drilled with a forstner bit to recess extremely powerful rare earth magnets into the shelf above. We can fold the curtains up behind themselves and the all thread rod locks onto the magnets, as you can see the curtains up by the passenger seat. It came out perfect. But my wife is left handed and I’m right handed…… I thought we were gonna kill each other before we finished !! JUST SAYING !!!
Attached Thumbnails
C03747E8-E6A3-4D0B-9904-6E2111B5E392.jpg   E169CD4D-9DF2-4F2B-982F-162E7998A97C.jpg  
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:24 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
I used 1/2” EMT for our curtain rods. Used one hole straps to hold them up. We made the curtains cutting the fabric to a little larger size than the window to have a hem on the edges. No raw edges. We then used fabric glue to make the hems and made a hem on the bottom so that 3/8” all thread rod would fit in the hem. I drilled with a forstner bit to recess extremely powerful rare earth magnets into the shelf above. We can fold the curtains up behind themselves and the all thread rod locks onto the magnets, as you can see the curtains up by the passenger seat. It came out perfect. But my wife is left handed and I’m right handed…… I thought we were gonna kill each other before we finished !! JUST SAYING !!!
Man, those curtains look fantastic. Do you have any more pics of your process for making and installing those? I want to do exactly the same thing while thinking and stressing as little as possible.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:27 PM   #19
Bus Geek

This is the first time I've noticed those threaded-pipe shelf supports, too. Just awesomely creative.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:47 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
thermal and black out

curtains for a bus, so, the other day while wandering through a fabric store, I saw this stuff labeled as " curtain liner". This stuff was quilted, had a mylar inner layer. I think there was three or four layers of fabric. This is intended to sewn onto at least one layer of fabric for the design or colour you want the drapes to become. Some small addition of heat or cold insulation.

My intention is to use snaps. I might start with velcro and graduate to snaps if the velcro does not work...

here is the idea.... The curtains cover only two windows at a time... likely to be vinyl on the side that contacts the window glass. Whatever blows my hair back for the inside. - Think hippy acid trip psychedelic kind of prints.

With the curtain "open" it will snap up on the ceiling out of the way and the curtain will offer some sound adsorption. When down. there will be the fuzzy side for the velcro to hook onto... or snaps... eight snaps for each window one at each apex and one in the middle of each side. So for two windows, there are 13 snaps... five across the top and five across the bottom and three across halfway up.

I suppose one way of doing would be with black or white.... summer time put the white side out, winter put the black side out...... just an option. I intend to use the curtains only at night....

I intend to have something like quilts/blankets... snaped into place on the ceiling for insulation on the inside... I can take them down and wash when I want or change them out for different patterns/colours if I tire of looking at them.

some insulating, some pretty, some sound deadening all in one package.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote