Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
Skoolie

Cutting floor supports?

In hanginger my grey tank (an old semi fuel tank) I found I don't have enough room to vent it easily out the top. It has preexisting threaded holes one of which I can thread on 1in pvc. My question is if I were to cut a 1.5 in section out of 3 of the floor supports that run perpendicular to the frame will that be an issue? It would be right under my kitchen counter so I could run the vent pipe back thru a closet. One of the floor supports is a thicker I beam. And the other 2 I'd be cutting are the normal \_/ looking beams. If I vent it straight up it will go thru my counter. Otherwise I'd have to drill a hole in the end of the tank and get what I believe is called a uniseal, shuv it in the hole and just slide the pipe in the tank and 90 it up through where I want it to go up. Heading to the store now to see if they have that uniseal because that sounds smarter than cutting a bit out of my floor supports but advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I use Uniseals in each of my fresh water tanks where their gravity fill inlets enter in at the top. I suspect they wouldn't be 100% watertight if water sloshed vigorously around inside, but for what I've done with them I think they'll be fine. I wouldn't however put one in a black tank! The first time I pushed the pipe through one it dislodged from the tank and fell down inside, which was not fun to retrieve through the tank's 3/4" drain hole after the tank had been secured into position. I recommend using some sort of lube or glue to help the pipe slide through, and to smoothly chamfer the end of the pipe.

So saying, I hate cutting through anything structural unless I know for sure that there won't be any consequences from doing so. There's good reason that the body company put in those supports - if they didn't need to do so, would they have spent the extra money by including them?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 71
It seems to me that those supports under the floor are there to support the floor and that's it. I struggle to see them as anything else besides that.

That being said, I intend to cut through the floor supports in multiple places and completely removing the channel under the floor and then reinforcing around the holes that I cut. My holes will be under counters as well so I won't be walking on those areas or anywhere near them.

Is there a right or wrong answer here? probably... but I don't know it.
Rengald is offline   Reply With Quote