Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #1

Day tripper / Travel coach

Hi all, new to all of this...

My wife and I are toying with doing some sort of conversion. Our main focus is for comfort and relaxing during travel, as well as avoiding airports/crowds to an extent. We're not looking at this as a living arrangment. It's all about the journey, the destination will generally be hotels/friends houses, etc. Think Madden cruiser, not boondocks palace. We have 2 kids, 4 and 2.

With that in mind, I've been looking at small buses, shuttles/party coaches, and even a somewhat inexpensive MCI mc9 conversion near me.

Anyone else in the same boat?? My main needs would be:

Comfy seating, mini kitchen, bathroom, diesel power ( I like the 444, 466 and the vt365. I know my way around power strokes.)

Practically, I'd certainly build some sleeping options in, as it's never out of the question, but it's not my main focus.

Someone tell me the MCI conversion is a bad idea, cause I really like big toys, but don't need it.

Pics for my scattered mind's thought process.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200704-130057.jpg   Screenshot_20200704-130121.jpg  

PtJudeRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtJudeRI View Post

Someone tell me the MCI conversion is a bad idea, cause I really like big toys, but don't need it.

There's been a few posts about the challenges of owning a coach, I believe CrownGuy is the one who's posted some pretty detailed information about the maintenance and upkeep of coaches. Take a look at some of his posts...the threads I'm thinking of were specifically from people wanting to go with a coach instead of a school bus. There are a few coach owners on the forum, hopefully they'll be able to shed some light too.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtJudeRI View Post

Big toys= Big Maintenance
A shuttle or small skoolie would be easier to navigate and park too for that type of trip. But that's just the practical side of things. Then the other half of the brain takes over...
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote