Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Decisioins....Decisions....

I'm having a little trouble making up my mind on the shower pan. It just came in from Tri-State Surplus yesterday... It has a nice deep six inch drop...and as low as the ceiling is in the bus, espically on the side where the shower is going.... If I were to cut a big enough hole and drop that thing down into the hole and build a support/floor underneath of it, I'd have a little more head room inside the shower....

Two problems....

1- This will be a lot more work, a lot more time consuming than I had planned for, as well as I'd have to not only build the support structure, but insulate it, close it in, and the plumbing (drain) that has been already run for this will be too high....I'd have to re-plumb the entire shower drain again.

2- The location (and there is no other option for location at this stage of the conversion) is between the left side rear wheel well and the side emergency exit doorway. Seems to me (and I haven't gone under there and looked yet) there may be suspension issues, and I'm concerned about the structural integrity of the floor if I cut a huge hole in the floor at that particular point... it's right beside another hole in the floor for the wheel well....

Am I starting to get too anal about this? To be honest, I'm leaning toward just installing it on the existing floor, I don't really use the onboard shower anyway, I usually use campground facilities...I've only used the one in my TT 3 times over the last four years... I suppose I could 'duck' that many times?!?!

You're opinions please?

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I doubt if you're gonna mess up the structural integrity. If it were a GMC motorcoach or an MCI, yeah, but those two rails underneath are a pretty strong backbone! Also, it wouldn't be an empty hole- the shower pan, once it's secured is probably pretty rigid.

I hate to duck to take a shower. If I ever get to that point on my bus (I haven't even taken my seats out yet!) I definately want the head room!
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
IMO, you answered the question yourself.

Quote:
To be honest, I'm leaning toward just installing it on the existing floor, I don't really use the onboard shower anyway, I usually use campground facilities...I've only used the one in my TT 3 times over the last four years... I suppose I could 'duck' that many times?!?!
Unless I was tall(I'm 5'8") and going to be full-timing it, I wouldn't go through all that work. Haven't you ever visited someone that has a shower that's aimed at your belly button. You just make do with what you have to work with. You could always cut a hole in your roof and put in a skylight or put a shower on the outside of your bus. I'm half joking about those last two. That's my 2 cents worth.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I think I went with a 24x36 shower pan but I could be wrong. To make it easier to use I have a shower chair that I will use.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
I've been looking at full shower inclosers that have a seat built in..the wife has MS and standing in hot water is pretty hard for her to pull off ... I'm far taller than her (ask Les) and figure I can sit down as well to shower.
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
My shower pan ended up on the floor, but I used one of those shower heads with the hose so I could take it off to wash my head.
w1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Well, after messing around today I came to determine that I'll just place it on the floor rather than trying to fabricate a sunken pan... I'm only 5'7" tall, I'll be full timing but at a campground where I use their facilities anyway...and my shower head is already on hose so I suppose the only problem will be washing my hair in there, and with the hose shower head that really won't be much of a problem.

Too much trouble to sink the pan and then use the thing to store the laundry basket (which is what I use the shower stall in my TT for right now)....

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote