Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
deck height concerns

So, I'm planning out my deck, and I was trying to decide if we want a 3' railing around the outside or a 1' one, or none at all. I would love to have the full 3 feet, but my concern is that the extra height would make the bus an little too high for ducking under trees and whatnot. I live in Portland, where there are lots of trees that hang over the roads. Has anyone had issues with decks causing their bus to not fit down streets?

Thanks

icnivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: deck height concerns

Don't forget about fitting under bridges as well. I think the maximum height for any vehicle is 13 foot, or 13 ft. 6 in. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Why not go for a modular railing system? Or a fold-down rail? Either way, you can increase your height when needed, but still keep the vehicle streamline while going down the road.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

With Smitty here. A hinged fold down railing would be your best bet. 36" high would be safe height for railing (for human occupancy). If your just going to put gear up there, a permanent 1' rail would work. One foot is just to short for people to be up there, as in race bus, etc.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Possably make the 1' railing as the storage rails for travel, but able to put extensions into it for the 36" railing when you plan to be on the deck.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 7.3 diesel

I would try and keep the total height under 13' 6", as TygerCub said. This is sort of a standard maximum height. Eighteen wheeler trailers are 13' 6" high, so you would be able to go pretty much anywhere they do. There are vehicles that are over 13' 6" high, however they have to be cautious of bridges and low wires, and are subject to permits and restricted routes. That being said, there are some bridges that are under 13' 6".

My full size bus is 10' 3" at the crest of the roof, I'm sure most are comparable, so you may be alright, as long as you exercise caution when driving. A trucker's atlas will list low clearances on most major routes.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote