Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2023, 04:52 PM   #1

Defroster

What search terms should I use to find info on operating the stock defroster. Got plenty of threads on "removal" and "chinese diesel heaters" but nothing on simply how to turn the thing on to see if it works. Thanks

2000 blue bird international 8cyl/40ft/3800 t444e/colorado bus

sekkyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 07:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Are you looking for the switches and mixer (hot/cold...red/blue) valve control? Or is the issue that you're turning it on but it isn't getting warm/hot? I ask to clarify, because there are shut-off valves near the engine which cut off the coolant flow (for use in the summer) and if those are off then the defroster and heaters won't get warm.
rossvtaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Are you looking for the switches and mixer (hot/cold...red/blue) valve control? Or is the issue that you're turning it on but it isn't getting warm/hot? I ask to clarify, because there are shut-off valves near the engine which cut off the coolant flow (for use in the summer) and if those are off then the defroster and heaters won't get warm.
I appologize for not being more clear, I am not looking to buy "switches" or "valves". At the end of the post in the last sentence I said "but nothing on simply how to turn the thing on to see if it works." What I meant was how do I turn it on to see if it works.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekkyoshi View Post
I appologize for not being more clear, I am not looking to buy "switches" or "valves". At the end of the post in the last sentence I said "but nothing on simply how to turn the thing on to see if it works." What I meant was how do I turn it on to see if it works.
Gotcha. I didn't say anything about you buying parts. I'm trying to help identify the problem.

When you say you're trying turn it on, are you trying to find the switches or controls to turn it on? Those should be pretty obvious, but I was checking to see if you couldn't find them. OR, are you already turning those on but it's not getting hot?
Old 12-06-2023, 10:06 PM   #5

I apologize for waisting your time. I was hoping internet fourms had matured into something functional and helpful. I will try again in 20 more years
Old 12-06-2023, 10:11 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekkyoshi View Post
I apologize for waisting your time. I was hoping internet fourms had matured into something functional and helpful. I will try again in 20 more years
You won't find a more helpful group of people than here on this forum...and I was trying to help you. Best wishes in your endeavor.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Sometimes you have to hit it with a claw hammer and hope for the best..

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=turn+...heater+defrost
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:07 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
first off, is your bus a conventional or a flat nose? big difference on the year 2000 bluebirds on how to operate the defroster..

people are mentioning valves, because you need to turn the heater valves on if they had been shut off during the warm summer months.. thios is what allows the system as a whole to get warm vs blow cold air...

if the bus is a conventional dog nose (has a hood) you will have a switch that says 'Main HTR'.. thats a knob that turns on the heast / defrost fan.. the fan will run regardless of valves.. you should hear it blowiing strong if you turn the knob to high fan..

there is then another knob that says 'front / rear' you want to move that to front..
and a third knob that says 'heat / defrost' rotate that to defrost and finally there is a plate that moves back and forth with a knobto tighten it.. this is on the panel beside your seat.. (the main heater box).. that is the door which opens and closes the driver heater.. for max defrost you loosen the knob a 1/2 turn, slide the plate front or backwards which directs the air to the driver (or into the defrost duct).. then tighten the knob back up...

on your panel are also silver switch knobs.. these are push / pull.. your bus being a colorado bus should have a full 'hurri hot' heater in the stairwell.. it will be labelled RH heater on the switch panel.. you pull the switch out all the way for high speed and halfway for low speed and push it in for off.. this is your door window defroster..

on a flat nose bluebird its a bit easier.. you'll have the push / pull (or rocker.. they changed around this time to the newer panel).. these are labelled as driver heat, defrost, etc.. simply turn on the ones you need.. on the newer panel, make sure the 'Noise' or 'silencer' switch is turned off.. this switch will shut off all the fans and disable their individual switches.. if its accidentilly on, none of your heaters or defrosters will come on... it was used for railroad crossings as an easy way for the driver to cut the fan noise..

I have been using internet forums since before they existed,. (when it was usenet news groups).. and this is one of the best forums ive been a part of.. good luck in youfr endeavors.. and yes bus heating / defrosting / and Air conditioning is something ive spent a lot of time on over the years...
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote