Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2023, 05:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Deleting newer maxx force?

I see some pretty good deals with buses MaxxForce 7.6L. There is a lot of information out there about deleting the DPF and EGR.

Would this be a good option to create a reliable engine?

(Personally, I like electronic controlled engines vs. mechanical as I can usually diagnose and repair them fairly easy as long as i have the right diagnostic tools).

One can pick up the IC busses with MaxxForce fairly cheap and this might be a good strategy, no??

VinHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Mf-[del]

Unless your building something like this.

No.

Surely, another member will explain the technical difficulties with this particular configuration.

Meanwhile, check out this thread: seek-and-destroy-bounty-epa-and-navistars-new-deal-post58.

There are several links, within the thread, to additional relevant publications.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:54 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the Main failure of the 07-09 Maxxforce DT are the EGR coolers and the turbo actuator... you can replace the actuator and you can buy bulletproof EGR coolers..clogged DPFs were an isue on route busses.. you could have the DPF baked if it is too bad.. on higway units less issues exist as the engines wrm up enough to do regen on the road and not require parked regen cycles..

in 10+ the compound turbos were an issue as well as injectors and of course still EGR coolers.. so the 10+ were the more problematic of the 2 sets of MF DT's.. DPF issues still persisted although these engines ran ab it hotter so it wasnt as big of a deal

Maxxforce 7's.. they had issues with the injectors, the compound turbos and they were prone to cracking pistons.. there were ford 6.4's (the MF7 counterpart) that were studded and deleted.. upgrades could be made to MF7s to make them pretty good but lots of work..

the upshot is that its pretty costly to do any work to these.. much more than bulletproofing a 6.0 (VT365).. these maxxforce engines make great power but longevity is an issue unless you bulletproof them and its not cheap.. 4 or 5k in parts? if you can delve deep enough into an engine to change the parts successfully.. prohibitive if you have to hire a shop..

I suppose its theoretically possible to delete one.. there may have been a youtube video or underground web thread or 2 about it.. but good luck...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:16 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Good idea, not the ideal engine.

The 6.0 PSD busses are also unloved and cheap, and have a ready supply of bulletproofing kits in the aftermarket. But you'll still spend >$5k to get that done at a diesel shop.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:16 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Camioneta View Post
Good idea, not the ideal engine.

The 6.0 PSD busses are also unloved and cheap, and have a ready supply of bulletproofing kits in the aftermarket. But you'll still spend >$5k to get that done at a diesel shop.

ill buy a VT365 (in currently running order) any day... a little work to those and they are some of the most solid engines out there.. a lot of the 6.0's failings came with poor coolant and oil maintenance and inherent issues in way too small passages in the oil / EGR cooler.. the VT365 didnt suffer the head bolt issues near as often as the ford counterpart simply because they were so de-tuned you didnt blow head gaskets.. now if you want to tune it for some decent power (which it needs) then studding is a given..

the one thing I WOULDNT buy in regards to a 6.0 is a van-chassis bus.. just WAY too crammed in there to actually perform any of the work needed.. conventional IC CE or IC BE? all day long.. you can find these even with factory A/C for pretty good deals
Old 01-31-2023, 07:52 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ill buy a VT365 (in currently running order) any day... a little work to those and they are some of the most solid engines out there.. a lot of the 6.0's failings came with poor coolant and oil maintenance and inherent issues in way too small passages in the oil / EGR cooler.. the VT365 didnt suffer the head bolt issues near as often as the ford counterpart simply because they were so de-tuned you didnt blow head gaskets.. now if you want to tune it for some decent power (which it needs) then studding is a given..

the one thing I WOULDNT buy in regards to a 6.0 is a van-chassis bus.. just WAY too crammed in there to actually perform any of the work needed.. conventional IC CE or IC BE? all day long.. you can find these even with factory A/C for pretty good deals
Correct on the van chassis. My friend's diesel shop takes the cabs off pickups and will unbolt van bodies to get better access to the psd engines for major work.

When I say 'bus' I mean conventional/dognose. Had a couple loose injectors in the B-700 and access is so easy. I believe I'dve had a much harder time getting someone to work on a flatnose or RE bus.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:41 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Camioneta View Post
Correct on the van chassis. My friend's diesel shop takes the cabs off pickups and will unbolt van bodies to get better access to the psd engines for major work.

When I say 'bus' I mean conventional/dognose. Had a couple loose injectors in the B-700 and access is so easy. I believe I'dve had a much harder time getting someone to work on a flatnose or RE bus.

all my busses are conventionals.. while doing the HPOP job on my T444E was a bit of a PITA it was much easier to just stand between the wheel and the engine with ease and reach stuff.. doing injectors and glowplugs was pretty much a breeze.. a CE is almost like a cab off on a pickup.. except for maybe up-pipes
Old 03-05-2023, 05:04 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Jimmy/Corbeil
Chassis: 96 International 3800
Engine: T444E, AT545
Rated Cap: 36
MaxxFarce engines are junk, period. Do yourself a favor and get a dt466 instead.
jimmy649 is offline   Reply With Quote