Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TCF
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Deleting windows

I see that quite a few of you have blocked out windows on your skoolies, and I intend to eventually do the same.

Eventually configured: (<- rear) [][]XXX[][][]XX[][][] (front ->).

Actually kind of soon as the build season draws to a close here.

I've already knocked a million rivets out of this bus and would like to leave the roof entirely unmolested if I can.

Looks like I could probably jam a sheet of 20 Gau up under the rain kick-outs and bring it down under the top of the top rub rail .. a bit of sealant and a few pop-rivets on the side - but I'd be very interested in how you did it .. maybe a few close up shots if it's not too much to ask?

Jim.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
First- are you keen on keeping the original windows? Or are you up for RV style replacements? As you no doubt know, stock windows almost always leak, are drafty, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vicious View Post
I've already knocked a million rivets out of this bus and would like to leave the roof entirely unmolested if I can.
If you want a well insulated bus the ceiling will undermine any and all efforts to insulate the walls, believe me.

If you're in moderate climates you're fine. Expect winter, proper, or want to use AC? Do the work. It is soul crushing, but worth it. I didn't want to do it, I said I wouldn't do it, but when it came down to my use case (see my profile pic), I knew it had to be done. If you do choose to go down this thorny path- stay strong.

Quote:
Looks like I could probably jam a sheet of 20 Gau up under the rain kick-outs and bring it down under the top of the top rub rail .. a bit of sealant and a few pop-rivets on the side - but I'd be very interested in how you did it .. maybe a few close up shots if it's not too much to ask?
I did exactly this. Actually I don't know the gauge off the top of my head... I can get pics tomorrow sometime of how it was done. I used rivets through the channel and ribs, I think I had to pry up the rub rail just a teeny bit.

One thing I'd change: Use butyl tape to seal (I used silicone). I'm going to have to drill out all those rivets and reseal with butyl, probably next year. Not hard from the outside, just a PITA.

Good luck!
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:

I jammed some 20G under the rain kick-outs, ran it to the outside window ledge. I secured the 20G with adhesive and a rivet every 4" or so around the window frame. Without the adhesive the 20G metal would vibrate and make noise if banged on it. The adhesive along with the rivets made it nice and solid.

I put caulking along the outside bottom edge, I haven't had any water leakage problems.

Sorry, I am away from the bus and don't have any pics
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote