Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Diagnostic tools

So, what are you guys using to to diagnose your skoolies as far as equipment and software? I was looking to get some kind of scanner and was considering some tech stuff that will make things super easy, I guess? I was chatting with an agent who recommended Navistar Engine Diagnostics (NEDS) Software - 12 Month License but that seems to be just software and no tool, though it is specific to the engine I have (98 international 3800 dt466e) and similar. Then there is universal software that comes with a electronic service tool and the cabling needed to connect to my ecm.

So, I was just curious about what you guys have and would recommend. I'm thinking about financing since this stuff doesn't come cheap, unfortunately

Thanks

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
So, what are you guys using to to diagnose your skoolies as far as equipment and software? I was looking to get some kind of scanner and was considering some tech stuff that will make things super easy, I guess? I was chatting with an agent who recommended Navistar Engine Diagnostics (NEDS) Software - 12 Month License but that seems to be just software and no tool, though it is specific to the engine I have (98 international 3800 dt466e) and similar. Then there is universal software that comes with a electronic service tool and the cabling needed to connect to my ecm.

So, I was just curious about what you guys have and would recommend. I'm thinking about financing since this stuff doesn't come cheap, unfortunately

Thanks
Navistar diagnostic tools

https://www.turbotraining.com/ndt.htm

Also, Servicemaxx is free !

https://navistarservice.snapon.com/S...Number=SM-1708

This info will hopefully help you !
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:50 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I use the "god mode" servicemaxx for my IH engine and I use allison DOC for my allison electronic transmission
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Navistar diagnostic tools

https://www.turbotraining.com/ndt.htm

Also, Servicemaxx is free !

https://navistarservice.snapon.com/S...Number=SM-1708

This info will hopefully help you !
Forgot about this thread, thanks! Looking to get the nexiq usb link soon. Do you have it? If so which version? I wonder if bluetooth versions of any scanner makes it superior to wired versions 🤔
Old 06-12-2022, 07:16 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I use the "god mode" servicemaxx for my IH engine and I use allison DOC for my allison electronic transmission
What's this "God mode" you speak of? Did you get it from that site you always vouch for?
Old 10-04-2022, 10:20 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: VT-365
Rated Cap: 29760 GVWR
I am curious as to what breakout harnesses folks use to diagnos electrical issues for the vt365. Is there an aftermarket option that's a little cheaper than Navistar? Anyone have some used stuff for sell? Lol
Samarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:23 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarath View Post
I am curious as to what breakout harnesses folks use to diagnos electrical issues for the vt365. Is there an aftermarket option that's a little cheaper than Navistar? Anyone have some used stuff for sell? Lol

ive never used a breakout harness.. ive found the circuit test procedures and output tests on the ECM sufficient.

with your other thread related to the IDM.. I was thiunking the books have an IDM voltage test as well as an injector buzz test.. the buzz test will die if the IDM cant provide voltage and ground the injectors...
Old 10-04-2022, 01:22 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: VT-365
Rated Cap: 29760 GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive never used a breakout harness.. ive found the circuit test procedures and output tests on the ECM sufficient.

with your other thread related to the IDM.. I was thiunking the books have an IDM voltage test as well as an injector buzz test.. the buzz test will die if the IDM cant provide voltage and ground the injectors...
When I connect service Maxx and turn the key on, the software populates with data. On my voltage readings other than the battery, there is no reading. Is that normal?

I haven't performed the output tests. I will continue reading through the books. I hope I can get this bus back on the road eventually.... otherwise I have learned a lot about an engine that I'll never buy again....lol
Samarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #9
Bus Geek

if you suspect an IDM failure then running an injector buzz test will test the injector solenoids.. first they all will hit in a loud .. well Buzz sounds.. then it goes through each injector in order 1-8 click..pause.. click..pause etc about 1 per second.. giving you a chance to count if there are any long pauses you know that cylinder's injector or wiring or ECM output is defunct..

if the IDM is defunct id expect you to hear no buzzes or clicks at all as thered be no IDM voltage present for the injector regardless of whether the ECM grounds the other side..

of course under valve-cover harnesses are notorious for shorting out the IDM which often blows a fuse or puts it into a protection mode..

I wouldnt disown a VT365.. its not that bad.. although you do have to be more careful with it than you did its predecessor the T444E.. but still a similar injection system..
Old 10-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
I use Diesel Laptops DieselLink Universal Commercial Truck Adapter, I bought one used. They have free software, but I bought cummins insight off ebay for pretty cheap. It was invaluable for diagnosing different engine and powertrain light Ive had throughout the years.