Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2022, 11:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Did I mess up?

Hey guys!

So I just laid down my floating subfloor with 2x4s and EPS foam board from Home Depot. Overall the floor is solid but I have a few squeaky spots that are driving me nuts.

Upon further research, I see that most people are using XPS for more rigidity among other reasons. Assuming I fix the floor creaks, is my 1.5” EPS foam alright? Did I make a mistake?

Side note: The bus is a 24ft 7.3 blue bird. I plan on taking it for ski trips in the winter, and live in it full time. I don’t want to rip up my floor and replace my insulation, but I want to do it right.

Eric_theferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:29 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
floor that squeaks...

I live in a house built about 100 years ago, and has been moved about three miles from where it was built in 1960. I have so many floor squeaks I can not count them all. Nor are my floors flat and level.

My bus is kinda the same way. I dont really care about a squeak here and there. I used the pink foam 2" and 3/4" plywood on top of that. I do not have any wood framing structure - steel floor - 2" foam- 3/4" plywood. The stuff like seats, cabinets, refrigerators, toilets, beds, that bolt to the floor and walls are what hold most of the ply/foam floor in place. There are assorted bolts that go all the way through to hold an edge or corner down here or there.

Nope I cant stand all the way up in some places. That's okay If I sit down all is good. I think that 2" and 3/4" of wood is a hell of a lot better than kinda rotten plywood floor over steel.

If I could convince ---- I would tell you "It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough."

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:49 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
XPS is going to squeak just as much as EPS. The main advantage of XPS over EPS is R-value (XPS is rated R-5 per inch while EPS is rated R-4 per inch), but: XPS has a higher R-value because the blower gases used in its manufacture have a lower thermal conductivity than regular air (which is what forms the tiny bubbles in EPS). Over the course of a few years, the gases in XPS will migrate out of the material and be replaced with ordinary air, so eventually XPS will have the same R-value as EPS.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
General concensus seems to be you did OK.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for all the responses! I feel much better now!
Eric_theferret is offline   Reply With Quote