Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Did I wait too long to ospho after brushing rust?

Two or more weeks ago I took a wire wheel to the rust and now I'm realizing there is already new rust showing up. Do I need to get it all back to where I had it before? would really like to not have to go through that again.. On ospho's site they say "You do not have to remove tight rust. Merely remove loose paint and rust scale, dirt, oil, grease and other accumulations with a wire brush"

What's the verdict? brush again or ospho? here's some freshly brushed (the light part is its shininess) above some newly rusted:

Aimless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I would spray ospho on the rusty spots and then prime it with Rustoleum Rust Primer.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I would spray ospho on the rusty spots and then prime it with Rustoleum Rust Primer.
Ditto ... heavy Ospho on the rusted areas you can see.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Our plan was to ospho everywhere and then paint with this stuff -Rust-Oleum-Professional-1-gal-High-Performance-Protective-Enamel-Gloss-Safety-Red-Oil-Based-Interior-Exterior-Paint.

In looking at the rusty metal primer I'm wondering how it does when applied to iron phosphate covered in some polymer-- isn't that what it will be when ospho is done with it? Should we do ospho then the rust primer then the stuff i linked above? Thanks
Old 03-30-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
Bus Nut

You're fine - that's exactly the type of light rust ospho is referring to. Coat it and forget it.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

I've gotten the ospho-ing done now and I'm wanting to understand what my next steps are.

At this point Aimee looks like this:

Unless I'm told otherwise I'm going to clean up the ospho residue with acetone to provide a neutralized surface for the paint to adhere to, spray rustoleum rusty metal primer on the rusted spots, and paint everywhere with safety red rustoleum High Performance Protective Enamel Gloss Safety Red Oil-Based Interior/Exterior Paint.

Should I just get the gallon of rusty metal primer and skip the red? should I hit everywhere with the rusty metal primer and the red top coat?? I also don't know if the rusty metal primer is really useful on iron phosphate...? would love to hear from those who have run through this already! Thanks
Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
I've gotten the ospho-ing done now and I'm wanting to understand what my next steps are.

Unless I'm told otherwise I'm going to clean up the ospho residue with acetone to provide a neutralized surface for the paint to adhere to, spray rustoleum rusty metal primer on the rusted spots, and paint everywhere with safety red rustoleum High Performance Protective Enamel Gloss Safety Red Oil-Based Interior/Exterior Paint.

Should I just get the gallon of rusty metal primer and skip the red? should I hit everywhere with the rusty metal primer and the red top coat?? I also don't know if the rusty metal primer is really useful on iron phosphate...? would love to hear from those who have run through this already! Thanks
if appearance is important for your floor, spot prime your rusty spots, let it dry, then prime the complete floor, then apply the finish coat - if you use the 'bright red' which is really more of a 'tile red', then it might cover well enough to look decent - if you use 'fire engine red', you'll be able to look right through one coat - you can get away, appearance wise, with one finish coat if you put some of the same colour in the primer
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:

That's just how it should look after treatment.

I ospho'ed my floor, then after it dried I just swept it really well and painted with Rustoleum Safety Red....two coats. It has held up fine to the beating it's taken during interior construction. There are actually a couple of places (playing card size) where I've dragged or dropped things, and scraped all the paint off down to the bare metal, and those areas haven't developed any new rust.

First 2 pics from 12/2017, last pic is current.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

After Ospho just give it a coat or two of any oil based enamel. Its going to be under flooring so need to worry about what color it is, and they're all the same paint just different colors.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ospho, rust