Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Thanks. I always check online before I ask and if I'm not sure after that then I ask just to be on the safe side. Don't think I can afford screwing up. I went on then Allison website a few times first and was kinda confused. But the more I read up here, what's on their site makes more sense

Edit: Thanks for the tip on the service manual!
You won't find anything free on Allison's website. Google.

Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
this website is bad for hosting info like those links... the files go dead after a couple of years.

i know many of the facebook skoolie groups have file sections to them. check there for allison manuals....i know i 've posted allison 545 info there before...

if you are looking for a temp gauge.... get something heavy duty. the one i got was for cars. i had to get a second temp sensor from the gauge people because the wires did not survive handling before the sensor got installed. i tried to replace the sensor from napa, but the impedance did not match the gauge. the wire on the temp sensor was maybe 24 awg. way too flimsy.
if i got new gauges... i would want them to be "truck heavy duty" gauges.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
My trans oil temp is on the oil cooler supply port.

So it's reading the fluid temp after the torque converter, and before the transmission cooler. Theoretically, this should be the hottest point the fluid will ever see, especially with the non-lockup torque converter of the at545. Running wide open in 4th gear against the governor, it got to a max of 220. Maybe wide open while lugging it down in the rpm range or in a different gear will get it hotter. But I'm comfortable with it's operating and performance.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Thanks for the tips on the guages. Didn't realize the last few posts. Been trying to decide on if I want to go with the transynd brand recommended or one of the "tes295 approved" ones on the Allison website. Are they all pretty much the same or just as good as transend? I see the mobile brand available on Amazom. Also asked a Napa rep about some when I went to get the coolant boohah recommended since it was close to where I had to drive for work. He mentioned BP Autran Syn 295 Allison Transmission Fluid. Gave me the price and when i told him i was just checking he tried to sell it to me for cheaper. Bad brand, maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IF3J0Q..._yPS3FbBC9V8WB

These also popped up in the search..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5YGLQY..._WSS3FbG7Q13ZV

This one doesn't say 295 but I posted it just in case since it mentioned Allison and because it was cheap lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5YGLQY..._WSS3FbG7Q13ZV

This one has people mentioning in the reviews/Q&As they use it in Allison trans..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKMGG92..._eoT3FbN97YTET

On another note, turf mentioned the fittings on my filter look newso maybe I don't need the transmission fluid changed, just the filter? Can't I take some to a shop and get it tested or something or is that just coolant? I need to actually check the color of it first but was just wondering about these brands. Also, why isn't the transynd one not one of the recommended on their site? Here is a link to the ones that are..

https://allisontransmission.com/part...highway-fluids

One last thing.. would you guys recommend adding anything to the transmission fluid like that lucas stuff or something like that?

Thanks

*Edit: never mind about the autran. It's Allison approved. Also the transend is on the list too. Didn't realize it was by Castrol

*Edit 2:

This isn't on the approved list but it says Allison tes295 on the back. I'm going for cheaper but if Transend is far better then I guess I'll go with it. Thoughts?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #45
Bus Geek

We use shell spirax s6 in the shop. My napa pushed a valvoline product that "met" the 295 specs but wasn't certified by allison. A valvoline rep told me the cost from allison to have their product certified was hundreds of thousands of dollars, and that's why their product wasn't certified, but "met" the specs. Allison required the use of allison approved fluids in order to preserve the warranty on the transmission, so we sought out an approved fluid.

What you can find cheapest depends on what one company or salesman wants to sell it to you for. When I was searching for a supplier, they were all pretty close price wise. We have a store about a half mile from the shop that distributes shell lubricants, so that's who I went with.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #46
Bus Nut

Funny, I just accidentally watched a Shell advertisement for spiral trying to research lucas lol.

Here's an image of the color of my current fluid. I'd say I don't have to mess with it. Pretty clean right? Can't tell if it need some added or not. Hard to read the dip stick for me.

Think its safe to just swap out the filters judging from the images?

*Edit: the image of the dip stick is with the engine off, BTW
Attached Thumbnails
20201220_084607-min.jpg   20201220_084542-min.jpg   20201220_083616-min.jpg  
Old 12-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Not great but not terrible. How's it smell? Did you get any maintenance records with the bus to tell you when it was last serviced?

You likely know this, but to check level the engine needs to be idling in neutral.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Not great but not terrible. How's it smell? Did you get any maintenance records with the bus to tell you when it was last serviced?

You likely know this, but to check level the engine needs to be idling in neutral.
Not sure if its a bad or good smell as I am new to all of this, as you probably can tell. Doesn't smell burnt or anything. Should it smell strong or mild? Didn't get any maintenance records. Yes I know the engine should be idle. But didn't have it in neutral. Knew I should but just forgot

Gonna check it again right now

Either way, do you think this trans would benefit from having some of that lucas or similar added to it? I thought I'd mentioned this earlier in the thread but when driving on the highway, when it finally goes into 2nd gear, it ginda jerks into it. Not horribly but enough to where I noticed and I'm no mechanic but I had a car that had transmission problems. At one point it would (the car) sometimes not shift into second gear. Parking and turning the engine off for a few minutes fixed it. Later it would go pass 3rd gear. Turned out to be a burned out solenoid most mechanics wanted thousands to tear apart the trans. One guy replaced the solenoid and problem solved. Irrelevant but I don't think thats the case with the bus. Maybe slippage?

Someone told me something about how powerful the trans or engine is and its probably normal, IIRC. Anyhow, is lucas something that helps with this?
Old 12-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
No, lucas won't help.

Your fluid doesn't look awful, but it definitely doesn't look great.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No, lucas won't help.

Your fluid doesn't look awful, but it definitely doesn't look great.
It kinda looks worse in the images. A little darker maybe. Would you change it? I'm at 187,000 miles. Maybe at 200,000?
Old 12-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
It kinda looks worse in the images. A little darker maybe. Would you change it? I'm at 187,000 miles. Maybe at 200,000?
me- I do all my own service/fluids. Yeah I mean the 545 isn't known for its longevity, I'd want brand new clean good fluid in it. Cost around $175 if using TES295. Less if Dex3. Also change the spin on filter. Its not part of the transmission but should be mounted to the frame rail near the trans.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote