Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Here is a picture of the 7.3 in my 1992 international. It is pretty much the same as the 6.9.

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/d/13616-1/7_3.JPG

The red circles show where 2 of the glowplugs are located. And the blue shows where 3 of the injectors are located. 4 each on both sides, I only circle those that are visable in the picture.

There are a total of 8 glow plugs and 8 injectors. The glow plugs are next to each injectors. The glow plugs are wired in two banks left and rear but they both go through the same relay. I used to just check to see if they worked or not by unpluging each glow plug and using a test light that is hooked up to the positive side on the battery and touched the glow plug, if it lit up it was good. But then I'd also check the wire to make sure it would lite up when the relay was energized to make sure power was getting to the glow plugs.

Now since you say it will start with a shot of starting juice the injector pump should be good. I think too if the individual injectors are not spraying and do a streamline instead that can make it hard to start and will effect fuel economy.

On the newer electric setup on theses motors all this stuff is now located under the valve covers which is even more fun to play with. No not realy it is more of a pain when and injector goes south.[/img]

wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:29 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
The 1986 F-350 wrecker at work has 690,000 miles on an unrebuilt 6.9 IDI, running right on the governor on the highway (4.10's & no OD). It's no rocket (~175HP), but not too slow even loaded. It's no worse than many other engines, especially the smaller has buses (IH 345, GM 366, Ford 370).

The 6.9 ran until I think 1987, when the 7.3 IDI (444ci) replaced it. The 7.3 IDI was replaced by the T444E in 1995.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
my cummins 5.9 is tan.
It looks hemorraging-15w40-out-of-every-seal black to me.
It does seep some oil, but I spilled a bunch when I changed the oil & it ran all down the back of the motor. I had a big funnel and dumped a whole quart in at once... but the oil couldn't flow into the motor that fast. So it looks worse than it is.

Anyway for as much oil as seeps out I drove about 5,000 miles on my last oil change and only had to add about 1 quart of oil the entire time.. and that was near the end.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #24
Bus Geek

i would avoid starting fluid like the plage with any glow plug equipped engine. The glow plugs create enough heat to ignite the starting fluid and can cause an explosion capable of blowing your intake manifold right off
Old 11-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Put a new 8D starting battery on the bus Saturday thinking maybe the starter just wasn't turning over fast enough. The new battery turns it over plenty fast but it still won't start without the ether. So I guess I'll have to keep checking the various parts and pieces until I find the issue. I'm still leaning toward the glow plugs as being the issue. I'm thinking there's not enough heat to ignite the diesel even though there is enough to fire off the ether and of course there's no problem once the ether fires and gets the diesel going. I do notice the relay for the glow plugs seems to cycle on and off for a while until the engine starts and I'm not sure it should. I'm leaning toward the suggestion of bypassing the relay and using a spring loaded switch that has to be held down to keep it on. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'll keep you posted.
Busme
BusMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #26
Bus Nut

You said you never get it to start without a shot of eather? Even when the engine is warmed up? I dont think a warmed up engine needs glow plugs to start.

My engine dosn't have glow plugs & is very hard to start cold - I usually plug it in in the cold weather for about 1/2 - 1 hour before I start it. Once it is warmed up it fires right back up with no glow plugs (as long as its still warm)

I dont leave my bus plugged in for long anymore - once I had it plugged in for 2 weeks and it cost about $50 in electric to keep it warm.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #27
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
How old is the fuel?
After mine set a coupla months, just being started on the weekends
and not being driven much, it seems like the fuel got stale or something
and it wouldn't start without a shot of ether - started just like normal
after I filled up the tank with new fuel.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Haven't gotten it to start yet without the ether. Just put the new battery on and didn't have a chance to drive it to warm it up and try without ether. Working 10 and 12 hour days seven days a week is a pain.

I considered the fuel issue even though I had relatively new fuel in the tank. Needed to fill up anyway so headed down the road and filled to the brim. Of course this was before the new battery.

I noticed when I turn the key to the first position so the electronics come on, the glow plug indicator on the dash lights but....

then it goes off and I can hear the relay under the hooding cycling and clicking every couple of seconds. This normally stops after the engine starts but occasionally it continues for a minute after the engine starts. I'm thinking the relay may be bad but then this may be normal for all I know. Any thoughts? Is this normal? Thanks.
Busme
BusMe is offline   Reply With Quote