Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Directional / blinker lever snapped off

Hey all the lever in the steering wheel column that controls the directional signals snapped off while depressing it to make a left turn. Do you know how I fix this? Do I have to take the whole steering wheel column apart?

I have a 1993 Bluebird.

cupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Ya, you probably will. You may be able to replace only the broken arms without having to replace the whole module that slides over the steering shaft, depending on where the breakage is.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Pics would help. How much is there left? Move to the off position and pull straight out like a tooth pull, hard and quick.

John
Old 01-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #4

I'll upload pics when I can get back there again. To better describe the break it snapped off basically at the root of the lever where it goes into the column. I can push the lever back into its place to move the directionals up and down still but I would have to hold it in my hand all the time ha.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes View Post
I'll upload pics when I can get back there again. To better describe the break it snapped off basically at the root of the lever where it goes into the column. I can push the lever back into its place to move the directionals up and down still but I would have to hold it in my hand all the time ha.
On most of our buses from the 90s and earlier, that switch is in two parts. There is the electrical bit fixed in the steering column, and the stalk which is a push-fit into the switch.

If you can get the short bit out of the switch you will simply be able to replace the lever. If you can't, you might need the whole assembly

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
On most of our buses from the 90s and earlier, that switch is in two parts. There is the electrical bit fixed in the steering column, and the stalk which is a push-fit into the switch.

If you can get the short bit out of the switch you will simply be able to replace the lever. If you can't, you might need the whole assembly
My turn signal lever is a 1/4" steel shaft with a regular 1/4"-20 thread on the end that screws into the switch itself. Is yours threaded? I don't know what make of switch mine is, but it's on a TRW TC-34 steering column. If yours is irrepairable, eBay always has generic turn switches for cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-T...1aSCVw&vxp=mtr

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Someone obviously didn't keep the blinker fluid level up.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #8

It's definitely a clean break on the lever, no threads. I have a long drive in about a week and a half so I don't have the time to take apart the whole steering wheel column and put a new kit in and reassemble it. I think for the interim I will put the broken lever back into the hole it broke out of and fill the void with as much gorilla glue as the strongest man can carry. With any luck that will work until I can really get in there and work on it.

I think it broke off with the high beams on sooooooo that's gonna be nice and bright for everyone else on the road. : \