Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
dirty business - loo time

hello out there
it's time for me to get to the business of doing my business on my bus.
I plan on doing a dry composting toilet
- see Seth R's video https://youtu.be/6IZIZ08WBp0
Urine will be diverted to grey H2O tank.
My question to the community is...for those of you who use compost or dry composting toilet systems, where/how do you disperse the 'compost' when traveling?

Old 05-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well, you can toss it at other aggravating driver's.

The story is you can drop the compost in the dumpster, but I think that's pretty disgusting. Especially for the dumpster divers. It's pretty broke down by that point if you've been stirring it correctly.

We recently had lengthy discussion on this potty subject, including making your own composting toilet with divertor. You can probably imagine it was a really worked over subject.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
What a crappy topic, time for toilet humor, this is gonna go straight down the drain.

How can you tell if a toilet bowl is sick?
It looks FLUSHED!
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Well, you can toss it at other aggravating driver's.

The story is you can drop the compost in the dumpster, but I think that's pretty disgusting. Especially for the dumpster divers. It's pretty broke down by that point if you've been stirring it correctly.

We recently had lengthy discussion on this potty subject, including making your own composting toilet with divertor. You can probably imagine it was a really worked over subject.
happy Sunday Robin,

.....toss is at aggravating drivers....may be moments of temptation to do that, but I'm not the littering type .
Ya, I've been reading threads, discussions, watching videos for months now. There are many approaches to this, but I'm hoping that people will share

whether they
a) put the bags of 'compost' in municipal garbage bins
b) put them in city/town compost sites
c) put them in private humanure sites of friends etc
all of the above, or something else.
I know that when on the road, location & amenities will dictate, but wanted to hear from those of you who have 'been there-done that'.

Note: i'll be using a 5 gallon (approx 20 liters) bucket swap out system. 1 in use, one curing, one empty. Curing bucket to be in a dedicated insulated storage spot.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
We have been using our 5 gallon bucket style "composting" toilet, with urine diverted, for about 6 months now. We are on a large wooded piece of family property, so we simply empty the bucket into a composting pile in the woods. I tried using a plastic bag in the bucket as a liner, but emptying it out was a bit of a nightmare. We intend to compost in the woods whenever possible, but reserve the ability to bag it and trash it as needed on the road.

I can totally see the benefit of a proper composting toilet with an agitator such as Natures Head. Having it just sit in layers in the bucket does not break things down really at all and it piles up relatively quickly. I think a well agitated bucket with plenty of moss/coir/mulch would be more pleasant smelling and take longer to fill up. I havent yet figure out a good way to agitate within a 5 gal bucket.

Our urine diverter currently just goes to a 1 gallon jug that sits on the floor next to the bucket. Surprisingly, after a short while the smell of the urine jug actually becomes much more of a problem than the poo bucket, but a new jug every once in a while would solve the problem. Adding urine to your gray water tank might make me concerned that it could get kinda stinky in there.

Lastly, make sure you have good ventilation for you bathroom and bucket area. Im considering installing a 12 volt computer fan under my toilet seat blowing out through the wall.

Hope the helps!
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Engine: 454
Home Base setup

I am interested as well in what others do on the road. We just switched to composting toilet and it is working fine at our home base, as we use the bucket system as well and offload it into compost tumblers.

I'm also not keen on throwing it into dumpsters. I am wondering if burial in a remote desert site might be appropriate.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
We have been using our 5 gallon bucket style "composting" toilet, with urine diverted, for about 6 months now. We are on a large wooded piece of family property, so we simply empty the bucket into a composting pile in the woods. I tried using a plastic bag in the bucket as a liner, but emptying it out was a bit of a nightmare. We intend to compost in the woods whenever possible, but reserve the ability to bag it and trash it as needed on the road.

I can totally see the benefit of a proper composting toilet with an agitator such as Natures Head. Having it just sit in layers in the bucket does not break things down really at all and it piles up relatively quickly. I think a well agitated bucket with plenty of moss/coir/mulch would be more pleasant smelling and take longer to fill up. I havent yet figure out a good way to agitate within a 5 gal bucket.

Our urine diverter currently just goes to a 1 gallon jug that sits on the floor next to the bucket. Surprisingly, after a short while the smell of the urine jug actually becomes much more of a problem than the poo bucket, but a new jug every once in a while would solve the problem. Adding urine to your gray water tank might make me concerned that it could get kinda stinky in there.

Lastly, make sure you have good ventilation for you bathroom and bucket area. Im considering installing a 12 volt computer fan under my toilet seat blowing out through the wall.

Hope the helps!
Yes, this helps immensely. Thank you WhiteWhale.
I am intending on lining the bottom of the bucket with 3 layers newspaper, then a layer of sawdust, chips, or coir. A used bucket would sit to cure in the allocated storage area. From there is would be bagged for disposal or hopefully put into a humanure compost site.
I'd of thought that driving a bus any length of time would be a natural agitator to spread things out/move them around in the bucket. LOL.
My idea for an agitator is half a broom stick on a cordless drill. Set it to a low speed and that should work wonderfully. Compact, easy to clean and store. Plus, most everyone has a drill.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogeek42 View Post
I am interested as well in what others do on the road. We just switched to composting toilet and it is working fine at our home base, as we use the bucket system as well and offload it into compost tumblers.

I'm also not keen on throwing it into dumpsters. I am wondering if burial in a remote desert site might be appropriate.
I imagine that a 'dedicated' remote site would likely be fine if you own the land, or know who does. Mixing in a good bit of hay/straw and a sprinkling of cold ashes would help speed up decomposition. To compost though the hole would have to be left open.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartbus View Post
What a crappy topic, time for toilet humor, this is gonna go straight down the drain.

How can you tell if a toilet bowl is sick?
It looks FLUSHED!

I love corny jokes...
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
composting toilet, loo, toilet