Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
DIY Adjustable Solar Panel Mounting System

Unbolted the existing 2 panels, prepping to move and install 4 new panels to be able to tilt them. Anyone else designed any adjustable panels? Or have you purchased something I can build?

Old 04-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Skoolie

Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
You can mount them on a traingle based mount system. that are adjusted manually by turn knob and nut locking combination. Google adjustable solar panel mounts and look for a few dyi's or see if the manufactured ones are worth the price.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
Google adjustable solar panel mounts and look for a few dyi's or see if the manufactured ones are worth the price.
Did you really just suggest that I "Google it"?

I have been researching adjustable mounts for quite some time, just thought someone might have done some already, and might have some pointers?
Old 04-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Why wouldn't you make your own? You've looked at lots of them. I know I'll never pay those prices for solar racks, adjustable or not.

As always, it seems simple enough.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Why wouldn't you make your own? You've looked at lots of them. I know I'll never pay those prices for solar racks, adjustable or not.
Hence the title of this thread.

I think it is simple enough, but I do tend to oversimplify......then shite starts flying off the roof at 62mph
Old 04-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
Skoolie

Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post

I have been researching adjustable mounts for quite some time, just thought someone might have done some already, and might have some pointers?
I was on my phone, i would have put examples otherwise. But image is the first one that pops up on google is why i said it. lol
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Don't they have those galvanized pipes used for multiple mailboxes at the home store? Seems like one or two of those could be made to hinge up with panels mounted.
Yeah, it always gets more complicated to just make the simplest things sometimes. I'm not one for punching holes in the roof. I'll tack weld to the ribs through the skin but I don't make holes in a roof as a rule.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
There is an idea I that has been in my head more dreaming because of money.
To make the panels adjustable
Put 2 panels together on each side with the hinge in the middle (top/center of the roof)and use uni-strut for legs on all four corners and I was thinking go legs and a bar in the middle also?
If your not familiar with it uni-strut comes in all kinds off thickness 1/2"-5" and all gauges of metal and have slots in 2" increments along the entire length.
They make just about anything for the strut including base plates,l-brackets,and most of anything including engineered systems.
But once you work with it a little you can do almost anything you want with universal strut and it makes life a lot easier a lot of times.
On the legs it will give you adjustments as far as you want to go? If you wanted to raise the drivers side 9'7" so you can catch the morning sun then drop it down or raise both before/after lunch and lower the passenger side raise the driver side as the sun drops? The only other thing is where the wiring goes? If and when i do it i will leave enough slack on the roof to do adjustments of the panels so that I don't break the seal on my roof boot/sealant/liquid tight connector that fits an old extension cord
This is my idea and besides money the only thing stopping me is I don't want holes in my roof? Bolts screws or otherwise? I am high and dry right now besides a minor leak at the front door I can't seem to find and the back door has a ghost leak that I can't find even during a hurricane? I tried and tore a lot out that had to be put back?
If you are interested the local big box stores might have a form of strut and your local electrical supply will probably have the 1/2"-3/4" stuff which will support what you would like to do.
I used to work for a company that did solar water panels that weigh more than electrical but either way the actuators/trackers for both are a warranty nightmare no matter where they are bought?
I am/will be happy with hands on adjustment.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #9
Bus Nut

still need an idea to replace these bolts. They are very hard to get to when down, and I want to simple pop a spring-loaded bolt in and be done. Any ideas?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

I called these things "pip pins" when I was using them to assembly my hang glider back in the day. They might be adaptable to the purpose.

Allstar ALL60310 Quick Release T Handle Pin 3 8" x 1" | eBay
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Would Dzus fasteners work? I love those things.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I have some designed that use some linear actuators. Basically, a double triangle truss and actuators to change the shape of the triangle. I'd have to draw it to demo it better.

The idea is that from a single actuator, when "parked" halfway through it's travel stroke, should allow you to tip the panel to the left or right.

With creative use of software controls on the linear actuators, there is limited ability to pan and tilt the unit, since the actuators I've specified use heim joints.

The reality is I'll probably build some channel aluminum brackets that "someday" I can install actuators, but for now everything is al manuel.

I like the idea of 8-10 panels on the roof of the bus that can all independently track the sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Has anyone tried using the rams from a wheel chair lift to move your panels?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I called these things "pip pins" when I was using them to assembly my hang glider back in the day. They might be adaptable to the purpose.

Allstar ALL60310 Quick Release T Handle Pin 3 8" x 1" | eBay

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks
Old 04-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
Bus Nut

So after I determined it would cost 16 X $20+ dollars to have some quick-release pins for the panels, I jumped back up ther to take a closer look. I stared at it for about 2 minutes.

Then.

I used my brain.

Sometimes it works pretty well.

The search for an easy clip-in bolt came after I realized my hand was too fat to slip in under the panel when lowered. If I could not slip the bolt in under the panel, I certainly could not thread a bolt, or even clip a cotter pin in.

BUT, I could slip the cotter in BETWEEN the mount and the panel.

Hard to believe I could not see this before?