Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

DIY shower stall questions

I'm planning to do a wet bath in my bus and I've got some questions about the best budget options to do it. I'm more concerned with functionality and price then I am aesthetics for the record.

My plan was for a roughly 32" x 40" shower base with a box'ed off compositing toilet off to one side. see

I intended to use marine grade ply for the walls and coat with a epoxy such as this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...C0ZJ5XI5&psc=1. With the corners sealed up this seems to be a pretty water proof way of doing it well being reasonably cheap if im not mistaken.

I'm hung up on the best way to accomplish the shower pan, originally I was going to just build basically a wood basin and try and seal the edges, but that seems like a bad idea in the long run. Fiberglass pans seem to be a bit expensive $250-$400 for the appropriate size and the cheaper ones tend to need a cement base anyways. I was intending to do a teak or bamboo slat shower floor anyways so I don't need a pretty pan. Could I just lay a 2" thick cement slab with a drain and put slats over that?

Side note: Any advice on on demand tankless heaters? Looking at some of the cheaper sub $300 electric ones as I won't have a super high pressure shower, but I need something that will function throughout a Canadian winter(bus will be well insulated).

Vendeta44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I'd be looking for a complete fiberglass shower wall system, sometimes you can find used ones or unused new ones people decided not to use, or closeout/returns at the bigbox stores at a discount. I just looked at my local CL and found acrylic shower pan for $100.

Like all bathroom projects, not having to redo it is the primary goal.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
I'd be looking for a complete fiberglass shower wall system, sometimes you can find used ones or unused new ones people decided not to use, or closeout/returns at the bigbox stores at a discount. I just looked at my local CL and found acrylic shower pan for $100.

Like all bathroom projects, not having to redo it is the primary goal.
I looked, but theirs nothing immediately avalible in the size I need, and I don't have the time to wait for a good deal to show up.

Is there a reason why marine ply with epoxy for the walls and a cement base wont work?
Old 07-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I would not spend for marine ply if you use epoxy. Did you price out epoxy? It isn't cheap, but you don't need it either, just use polyester resin or vinylester even if you can handle the odors.
I've seen them done in fiberglass or steel roofing panels if you don't care how bad it looks.

You could create the shower pan with epoxy and wood. cement too heavy. Might look at sheet vinyl flooring for the walls. it is quite cost effective, you can do all three walls in a single sheet.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I would not use marine ply if you use epoxy. Did you price out epoxy? It isn't cheap, but you don't need it either, just use polyester resin or vinylester even if you can handle the odors.
I've seen them done in fiberglass or steel roofing panels if you don't care how bad it looks.

Yeah I was looking at this epoxy https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...C0ZJ5XI5&psc=1 I'd probably end up needing 3(maybe only 2) gallons of it, so not particularly cheap. I'm concerned about offgassing with polyester/vinylester in such a small space.

Would marine ply on its own stand up for the walls? If so that'd cut a fair bit off the price.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I would not spend for marine ply if you use epoxy. Did you price out epoxy? It isn't cheap, but you don't need it either, just use polyester resin or vinylester even if you can handle the odors.

You could create the shower pan with epoxy and wood. cement too heavy. Might look at sheet vinyl flooring for the walls. it is quite cost effective, you can do all three walls in a single sheet.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...C0ZJ5XI5&psc=1 was the epoxy I was looking at, would need probably 3 gallons so it gets up there in cost for sure.

Vinyl flooring definitely seems like a good cost effective way. I suppose I can use cheap construction ply as the wall in that case as well. Probably end up going this route.

What do you mean too heavy? I was thinking 2" thick base, with some mesh for strength. Doesn't seem like it would be that heavy? Or would its weight and the movement of the bus end up destroying it quickly at that size?
Old 07-12-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendeta44 View Post
I'm planning to do a wet bath in my bus and I've got some questions about the best budget options to do it. I'm more concerned with functionality and price then I am aesthetics for the record.

My plan was for a roughly 32" x 40" shower base with a box'ed off compositing toilet off to one side. see

I intended to use marine grade ply for the walls and coat with a epoxy such as this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...C0ZJ5XI5&psc=1. With the corners sealed up this seems to be a pretty water proof way of doing it well being reasonably cheap if im not mistaken.

I'm hung up on the best way to accomplish the shower pan, originally I was going to just build basically a wood basin and try and seal the edges, but that seems like a bad idea in the long run. Fiberglass pans seem to be a bit expensive $250-$400 for the appropriate size and the cheaper ones tend to need a cement base anyways. I was intending to do a teak or bamboo slat shower floor anyways so I don't need a pretty pan. Could I just lay a 2" thick cement slab with a drain and put slats over that?

Side note: Any advice on on demand tankless heaters? Looking at some of the cheaper sub $300 electric ones as I won't have a super high pressure shower, but I need something that will function throughout a Canadian winter(bus will be well insulated).
I like this guy's epoxy pan idea... just not quite so flashy
https://youtu.be/iUjDC6ub-ow
Old 07-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thats a great video! I think I'll go with that process for the shower pan, seems like it will work perfect for my case.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #9
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 6.6 LLY Duramax
Rated Cap: 15
I shower on the middle step surrounded by a shower curtain that is my door sun screen at other times. It’s made for water.
Epomethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:59 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
This is what I did. Got a really nice shower pan for $35, and put FRP over plywood for the walls. https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/i...-bus-7147.html
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epomethius View Post
I shower on the middle step surrounded by a shower curtain that is my door sun screen at other times. It’s made for water.
That's what I would do. Make your bathroom out of regular ply, use a cheap shower pan, reinforce it with closed cell spray foam, and then use a hula hoop and a shower curtain and call it good.

Marine ply isn't necessary for the walls, standard is fine. Paint it with good oil based enamel paint and that will protect it, no need for epoxy. Seal the bottoms and corners with flexible silicone.

That's how I would do it if your typical shower wall and pan combo is too expensive.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 77
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 855 Cummins big cam
Rated Cap: single axle
This is what I used. I had to modify it to make it fit but the material cut nicely with several different kinds of saws. I had to split the pan to make it fit, but it follows the curve of the bus and drains into the gray water tank.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...rounds/4115531
Attached Thumbnails
089.jpg   090.jpg   091.jpg  
wireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm not sure if this would really work, but since I can't afford (or weld) stainless sheet, I was thinking it might be possible to weld a custom shower stall out of mild steel sheet and then seal it with seam sealer and paint it. If I'm relying on this same basic process to keep water out of my bus, it seems like it also might keep a shower stall watertight, at least for a while. The seam sealer (Dynatron-550 of course) could be applied pretty smoothly, and perhaps a teak platform on the bottom would work, to keep me from directly contacting the paint layer (not that I shower in cleats or anything).

I've never seen this done, which suggests it might not be a good idea (and I'll happily hear why it's not). I have a plastic step tub I'm planning to use but I have to cut part of it off at some point and rejoin the remainders, and if I screw that up and ruin the tub I may try to fabricate my own.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I'm not sure if this would really work, but since I can't afford (or weld) stainless sheet, I was thinking it might be possible to weld a custom shower stall out of mild steel sheet and then seal it with seam sealer and paint it. If I'm relying on this same basic process to keep water out of my bus, it seems like it also might keep a shower stall watertight, at least for a while. The seam sealer (Dynatron-550 of course) could be applied pretty smoothly, and perhaps a teak platform on the bottom would work, to keep me from directly contacting the paint layer (not that I shower in cleats or anything).

I've never seen this done, which suggests it might not be a good idea (and I'll happily hear why it's not). I have a plastic step tub I'm planning to use but I have to cut part of it off at some point and rejoin the remainders, and if I screw that up and ruin the tub I may try to fabricate my own.

HD sells thin zinc plated sheet metal. No need for paint. back it with thin plywood, seal the seams, and be good to go.
Or maybe use metal roofing panels for the walls.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #15
Skoolie

I am a big guy (280+lbs) So i used a 48 inch shower stall in my U-RV Since i have a slick aluminum floor under it i knew traditional spots of thin set would not work.
I used 3 bags of Self leveling cement for the job. Worked like a charm.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
This is what I did. Got a really nice shower pan for $35, and put FRP over plywood for the walls. https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/i...-bus-7147.html

I used FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) panels over B/C plywood in ours. I tried using a pre-made shower surround but it wouldn't fit with or sloping ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3978.jpg  
Old 07-19-2020, 12:49 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
I used FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) panels over B/C plywood in ours. I tried using a pre-made shower surround but it wouldn't fit with or sloping ceiling.
nicely done. how did you do the seams? Silicon caulk?
Old 07-19-2020, 04:49 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Very nice! This is what I'm planning to do too with the frp walls, but I'm gonna do a diy wood base coated with resin. Is frp as easy to work with as it seems?
Old 07-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: FE 3900
Engine: DT466
RedGuard

On my son’s Sprinter van shower we used RedGuard. You brush or roll it over the seam tape and the plywood and it creates a rubber seal. Then we glued 1/4” FRP to the walls and curve of the ceiling and caulked the corners and seams. Tight as a frog’s hind end.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Daledorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
nicely done. how did you do the seams? Silicon caulk?

The big box stores sell trim pieces to go with the FRP panels that finish the corners and edges of the panels. When I installed the panels I used a good quality bathroom caulk and filled the slots in the trim to seal them to the panels. I also slopped lots of caulk on the plywood corners of the stall to further seal the corner trim from behind.

The plastic panels are light and easy to work with. I cut mine with a table saw and used FRP adhesive to glue it onto the plywood frame. A sabre saw would work fine but be careful with a circular saw with a coarse blade. The panels are fairly flexible but a coarse blade and a fast feed rate may chip the plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1514.jpg   IMG_1515.jpg   IMG_1516.jpg