Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Bus Nut

DIY tanks?

Can fiberglass(like the kits at West Marine) be used to make black water tanks? Would it contain the smell?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I met a gentleman several years ago that built water and waste tanks out of 3/4" plywood and lined them with West epoxy and fiberglass. It seemed to work well for him.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I met a gentleman several years ago that built water and waste tanks out of 3/4" plywood and lined them with West epoxy and fiberglass. It seemed to work well for him.
Kinda thinking it might work...idk

Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I've seen that done on some boat building forums for water tanks. Don't see why it wouldn't work for a black water tank. Look around on those kinds of forums for examples. Basically 3/4" marine plywood with a fiberglass liner, pretty much like you've described. I might consider doing the same for my gray water, if I can't find the optimal size tank.
Drew Bru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Not uncommon at all. Here's a thread on a tank for a boat. No different than my FG motorcycle tank.
Fiberglass Holding Tank ? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I bent up some aluminum and tig welded them up, no rust, corrosion and can support themselves, a local welding shop should be able to fix you up.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I've built aircraft fuel tanks (and whole aircraft) out of fiberglass and am certain that it will work for water - even nasty black water. That said, it is not an easy or inexpensive solution. Unless you need a very unique shaped tank, I would think that an off the shelf plastic tank would be much less expensive.

There are several approaches in addition to the lined box suggestion above. Making a mold out of foam, sealing it, glassing it, and then removing the foam is another. Glassing both sides of 1/4"-ish foam and then using those panels to build a box (and glassing them all together is another approach. I can supply more info/links if you decide to go this route.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I've built aircraft fuel tanks (and whole aircraft) out of fiberglass and am certain that it will work for water - even nasty black water. That said, it is not an easy or inexpensive solution. Unless you need a very unique shaped tank, I would think that an off the shelf plastic tank would be much less expensive.

There are several approaches in addition to the lined box suggestion above. Making a mold out of foam, sealing it, glassing it, and then removing the foam is another. Glassing both sides of 1/4"-ish foam and then using those panels to build a box (and glassing them all together is another approach. I can supply more info/links if you decide to go this route.
Thx

Old 03-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
I built my black and grey tanks with epoxy/fiberglass on foam on plywood. It holds water, but I haven't really put-it-to-test with long term use yet.

Things would probably have worked out better if I knew what I was doing, but my bus project has been from day one a learn by doing kind of thing. Would of used a gallon less epoxy too!

Here's a link to that misguided project:!\ http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/ho...anks-6972.html
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote