Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I suspect there are other reasons for the plywood, such as sound deadening, insulation, better material to bolt seats to, etc. I doubt it is intended for added structural strength, even though it might.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #42
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000 FE
Engine: 5.9
Well I spoke too soon. Decided to pull out the seat and the rubber mat below it today and lo and behold there's some disgusting and wet plywood. Gonna be a project getting it out because or poor access to the footpedal bolts.
lebusmagique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #43
Almost There

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191128_163227.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	39655Anyone think it's worth it to completey remove the pedals to get the rest of the rotten plywood out? It's so bad it's just falling to pieces.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebusmagique View Post
Attachment 39655Anyone think it's worth it to completey remove the pedals to get the rest of the rotten plywood out? It's so bad it's just falling to pieces.
I made the decision early on to stop the demolition at a line about two feet behind the driver's seat, where I'm going to be building my insulated bulkhead wall. My bus fortunately seems to have been parked nose up most of its life, so most of the rust is in the back half.

Seems like you need to keep going, though.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebusmagique View Post
Attachment 39655Anyone think it's worth it to completey remove the pedals to get the rest of the rotten plywood out? It's so bad it's just falling to pieces.
I haven't decided yet. I have a front engine; got plywood up to that point. The floor is raised under the driver's seat and still has rubber down. But the seat base is pretty rusted so I assume it's bad underneath. But dang that's going to be some work to pull everything out.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #46
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
I haven't decided yet. I have a front engine; got plywood up to that point. The floor is raised under the driver's seat and still has rubber down. But the seat base is pretty rusted so I assume it's bad underneath. But dang that's going to be some work to pull everything out.
yeah honestly the more I look at it from the underside the more i think i should just stop at the pedal. there about 7 bolts holding down the 2 pedals and i can only see about 2 from the underside and they're inaccessible from the top. I don't see how i can get it out or get it back in
Old 01-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #47

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: T444E 3800
Engine: 7.3 Turbo Diesel
What screws?

Hey all! Was just wondering what screws you recomend? Kinda following Johnny Mullets floor. 1/4 foam and 5/8 plywood. I know there seems to be some question as to whether or not it should be screwed down at all, but is we wanted to, what screws would work in the 16 gauge sheet?
Akardcd is offline   Reply With Quote